Re: [XP] Re: Estimation stuff

  • Bill Walton
    Message 1 of 201 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi banshee,

      banshee858 wrote:

      > > > You're not concerned with those of your followers who are up
      > against
      > > > estimates produced by those following more traditional estimating
      > > > processes? You're best advice is "just do it?" And that's what
      > you
      > > > want them to tell their bosses?
      > >
      > OK. I think I am beginning to understand where Bill might be coming
      > from (please correct me if I am wrong). Bill is concerned what do XP
      > people tell their boss if their estimate is widely different than the
      > one her/his boss gave them?
      >
      > For instance, an XP team says "By our estimates, we will not complete
      > this project until January 15." Their boss will look up from her/his
      > desk and say, "The LATEST we can have this done is Christmas, but
      > upper management told me to be complete by December 1." Is this the
      > issue?

      Actually, I think the example you've given is one that XP can quite easily
      handle, assuming some history is in place. I was more concerned, in this
      discussion, about how does one explain the XP estimating practices in such a
      way that a team is *allowed* to do XP rather than taking the more
      traditional approach. I said I'd take this up on the XC list since I see
      estimating etc. as a business-side issue. I'll do that now.

      Best regards,
      Bill
    • Dossy
      Message 201 of 201 , Nov 9, 2002
        Ilja,

        http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/product?ISBN=0201796198

        $23.62 from AW direct vs. $31.50 at B&N, but I don't know how prices
        compare after shipping costs.

        -- Dossy

        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...