StickyMinds RoundTable

  • Bill Walton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002
      Greetings,

      Just a quick note to let you know I'll be facilitating a RoundTable on Stickyminds.com for the next few weeks on XP & Requirements. I've included the "Topic of Discussion" below. Hope you'll join us. After all, it was they who brought us together ;-)

      Best regards,
      Bill

      ----- Topic of Discussion ----

      XP recommends an emergent approach to Requirements Definition. On the upside, XP's approach recognizes the inherent fallacy in the belief that we can ever really "fully know" what we want before we get hands-on experience with a software application. On the other hand, there are business practices built on knowing what benefits we will derive and what it will cost to achieve them. There's a host of technical practices designed to enable the delivery of a complete and coherent set of requirements, and Project Management practices that allow us to manage the inherent challenges. The question is not which approach is better. A more productive question is "what results will we get with a particular practice within a specific context?" A veteran software practitioner, Bill Walton, like many people, is exploring how to integrate XP practices into his process. Discussions like this have changed his mind from very sceptical of XP to being open to understanding more about it and discovering its best uses.