Re: [XP] Documenting acceptance tests

  • Ian Collins
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
      Chris Johnson wrote:

      > Should QA document ALL of the acceptance tests they plan to run in order to
      > pass a card? This information is obviously beneficial to the developers,
      > but documenting it seems contrary to XP. Or should the majority of the
      > acceptance tests be communicated verbally, in the same way the majority of
      > the requirements are communicated in conversations between Development and
      > the Customer?

      They should, but they should do it in the form of extend unit tests to
      be added to the project test suite.

      Our QA department run a mix of automatic scripted and manual tests.
      This looked too much like a duplication of effort to me, so we
      implemented the automatic tests as part of our unit test code. This
      resulted in a win win for both teams, the QA engineer designed the test
      cases and the developers implemented them.

      QA were then happy to leave out the scripted tests and the developers
      had a head start on their unit tests.

      I prefer not to know about their manual tests unless they fail! If a
      test fails, we then add it to our unit tests and fix it.

      Ian

      --
      Ian Collins
      Masuma Ltd,