[XP] Open source processes

  • Booch, Grady
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      I'd like to point everyone to an excellent study found in the latest issue
      of ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (July 2002) by
      Mockus, Fielding, and Herbsleb, titled "Two Case Studies of Open Source
      Software Development: Apache and Mozilla."

      Not only is this a scientifically sound study, it's quite relevant and
      interesting. The report is very detailed, but here are some of the findings:

      Open source developments tent to have a core of developers who control the
      code base; some 10-15 people create around 80% of the new functionality (and
      these developers are also users of this code).

      Projects larger than that, requiring the efforts of more developers, tend to
      decompose into projects of projects, each with their own code ownership.

      Beyond the core set of developers, an order of magnitude more people will
      repair errors and an order of yet another magnitude more people will report
      errors; developments that fail to reach this critical mass will tend to
      fail.

      The defect density of open source releases will tend to be lower than
      similarly-tested commercial code.

      Open source developments tend to exhibit very rapid responses to customer
      problems.

      Please please please don't take these sound bites out of context, for there
      is far more detail and subtlety in them as found in the report (for example,
      the Mozilla findings suggest a bit less responsiveness to problems).

    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        Booch, Grady sez:

        > Please please please don't take these sound bites out of context, for there
        > is far more detail and subtlety in them as found in the report (for
        > example, the Mozilla findings suggest a bit less responsiveness to
        > problems).

        I like this scientific report better:

        http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?HelpSourceForgeSuck

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/PeaceAndCalm
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          On Tuesday, October 01, 2002, 11:51:03 PM, Grady wrote:

          > I'd like to point everyone to an excellent study found in the latest issue
          > of ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (July 2002) by
          > Mockus, Fielding, and Herbsleb, titled "Two Case Studies of Open Source
          > Software Development: Apache and Mozilla."

          It's available here for those who don't have ACM Transactions on
          Software Engineering and Methodology
          http://www.research.avayalabs.com/techreport/ALR-2002-003-paper.pdf

          --
          Best regards,
          Jonas

          When all think alike, then no one is thinking.
          - Walter Lippman