Re: Learning Opportunity

  • jhrothjr
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
      > Now then. In the spirit of learning from everything, including the
      > approximately 150 "Dogpile on Jeff" emails of yesterday, let me pose
      > the following thought question:
      >
      > Did what happened yesterday with "nuts programming" serve us, or the
      > dashing young man who brought us the question?
      >
      > No replies are requested or necessary. Just reflection.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself.
      > (I am large, I contain multitudes.) --Walt Whitman

      It reminded me more of the alt.lightbulb faq. That's why I kept my hands off my keyboard while watching it. (If you've never seen the alt.lightbulb faq, possibly someone could enlighten you - it looks humerous until you recognize that it's exactly what happens in this kind of situation.)

      John Roth
    • Phlip
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 1, 2002
        manaster@... sez:
        > Hi, Dave,
        >
        > >There were those of us that persevered, and actually got him to articulate
        > >his disagreements with Pair Programming.
        >
        > ...and Phlip even cured him of top-posting. That surprised me more
        > than anything; it's not like trolls to acquire any form of courtesy.
        > Weird.

        I wasn't super polite. Netiquette admonitions like that can't ever be.

        I just caught him on the upswing. He was feeling guilty about the previous
        mayhem, and I lead by example. He configured his F-word Outlook mailer
        properly, too.

        Now if I could explain my KDE KMail lets me hilite text, hit reply, and get
        only that text in the reply ticks. In other words, KMail lets me prevent the
        problem (of excess replied-to material) instead of cure it (by snipping).

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/PhilosophyBrethrenThree