[extremeprogramming] Re: (OTUG) Why XP works, IMHO

  • Hans Wegener
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2000
      > Quite simply, I think that XP works because
      > it is Validation-centric rather than Product-centric.

      This is a very nice way to put it and to me also explains why many
      people in the beginning tend to be fundamentalists about XP.

      > We also know that the first question is much more important than the
      > second, as developing the wrong software right is useless.

      I totally agree with you in general - we should demonstrate payoff. But
      that's not really the way things are, and I think that's an idealistic
      point of view. Especially when things hit larger scales they tend to be
      more technology-driven than business-driven - at least that's what I
      have witnessed. It is good to release early and release often, do small
      increments etc. But there comes a time (or rather, a scale) where you
      have to establish a standardization organization, define processes,
      frameworks, etc. And all of a sudden your whole release thinking breaks
      down. This is where many of the framework guys kick in and say: "Look,
      you can't let loose a bunch of programmers and expect order just to
      emerge."

      This is because they are technology-driven while your thinking is
      business-driven, simplifying matters a bit here. And this is about the
      whole or a big part of the chasm I perceive. If XPers were a bit less
      enthusiastic about the applicability of XP on any scale and the
      opponents a bit less contemptive of the style of "rolling up the
      sleeves and start working", I guess both sides could learn a lot from
      each other.

      My ideal world would contain a blend of business-/change-driven and
      technology/stability-driven thinking (please don't take the wording too
      literal here). Working out what the best mixture is would be a
      fantastically interesting thing to do. Would anybody be interested in
      that?

      HW
      --
      Phone: +41-1-334 66 51