Re: [XP] What are you reading guys?

  • mohammad iqbal
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
      > What are you reading guys?

      Your message.

      Mohammed Iqbal
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
        From: Stephan Schmidt

        > http://www.mrbunny.com/

        JFC, man! Amazon's reviewers all gave /Mr. Bunny's Guide to Activex/ five
        stars!

        Thanks for the lead!!

        Phlip
      • Jim Little
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
          Since nobody's mentioned it so far:

          Sluggy Freelance
          www.sluggy.com

          Jim
        • kjray
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
            > What are you reading guys?

            "Practical Java" (the author's name not handy)

            "The Inmates are Running the Asylum" by Cooper

            "Fundamentals of Computer Graphics" by Foley and Van Dam

            "QuickTime for Java" by Maremaa and Stewart
          • Phlip
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
              > > What are you reading guys?

              Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns...

              Extreme Programming Installed...

              Li'l Abner Dailies: 1946...

              Conversations With Seth...

              Fox in Socks...

              RecentChanges...

              ...and the back panel of a box of Nature's Path Organic HempPlus Granola.

              Phlip
              -- Just say no to Ritalin! --
            • sharanya vemu
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                Reading Brethern-john grisham
                Mastering XML
                and XPInstalled _Final version

                Sharanya
                sharanya vemu
                e-mail: sharanya@...

                --
                mailmetoday is a free e-mail service from India Today Group Online that also rewards you with cool gifts. Sign up now at http://www.mailmetoday.com
              • Alan Francis
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                  --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Joshua Macy/Towers Perrin"
                  <macyj@t...> wrote:

                  I think that this:

                  > The Pragmatic Programmer, Hunt & Thomas

                  is what I hoped that this:

                  > The Practice of Programming, Kernighan & Pike

                  would be.

                  I was *so* disappointed in the K&P book. Despiote their claims of
                  multi-language coverage, it was really a C book.

                  Imagine my surprise when I bought the Pragmatic Programmer and
                  learned got what I was looking for :-)

                  AlanFrancis

                  > The Inmates are Running the Asylum, Cooper
                  > Python Programming on Win32, Hammond & Robinson
                • Phlip
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                    > > What are you reading guys?

                    The World According to Garp...

                    Rabbit is Rich...

                    The Hotel New Hampshire...

                    Beauty's Punishment...

                    Bag of Bones...

                    NOT

                    Phlip
                  • Kent Quirk
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                      Marco Dorantes wrote:

                      > What are you reading guys?

                      Failure Is Not An Option, by Gene Krantz (former flight director of NASA
                      - talk about a NON-XP work environment!)

                      Python Essential Reference, David M Beazley

                      Inside Direct3D (aaaaaa!), Peter Kovach

                      Next on the list:

                      Programming as if People Mattered, Nathaniel Borenstein

                      Kent Quirk | CogniToy: Intelligent toys...
                      Game Designer | for intelligent minds.
                      kent_quirk@... | http://www.cognitoy.com/
                      _____________________________|_________________________________________
                    • ADAM_SHELLY@udlp.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                        Marco Dorantes wrote:

                        > What are you reading guys?

                        Ruminations on C++, Koenig & Moo
                        Efficient C++, Bulka & Mayhew
                        Freedom and Necessity, Brust & Bull

                        Hmm, all Pair Authoring... wonder if that signifies anything?

                        -Adam

                        ---------------------
                        Adam Shelly
                        Simulation Engineer
                        UDLP Training Systems
                        adam_shelly@...
                      • Malte Kroeger
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                          Things I recomend reading:

                          Bertrand Meyer -- Object Oriented Software Construction, 2nd ed
                          GoF -- Design Patterns
                          Scott Adams -- The Dilbert Principle
                          Tom DeMarco -- Peopleware, 2nd ed
                          Tom DeMarco -- The Deadline
                          Kent Beck -- eXtreme Programming explained
                          Martin Fowler -- Refactoring

                          Language specific:

                          Bjarne Stroustrup -- C++ Programming Language, 3rd ed
                          Scott Meyers -- Effective C++
                          Bruce Eckel -- Thinking in Java

                          What else I read:

                          Frederick Brooks -- The Mythical Man Month, aniversary edition
                          Robert Sebesta -- Concepts of Programming Languages
                          Ivar Jacobson, ... -- The Unified Software Development Process
                          Robert V. Binder -- Testing Objeckt-Oriented Systems
                          Coulouris, Dollimore, Kindberg -- Distributed Systems
                          Douglas Adams -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

                          Malte
                        • Peter Booth
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                            Web Development With Javaserver Pages
                            by Duane K. Fields, Mark A. Kolb

                            Bertrand Meyer -- Object Oriented Software Construction, 2nd ed
                            (I am still, for more than a year, plugging my way through this)

                            Joe Klein - The Running Mate

                            Jane Smiley - Horse Heaven

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                              10 Projects You Can Do with Microsoft SQL Server 7
                              by Watterson, Karen

                              Windows NT/2000 Native API Reference
                              by Gary Nebbett

                              Building Financial Derivatives Applications With C++
                              by Robert Brooks

                              Data Mining Techniques Marketing, Sales, and Customer Support
                              Michael Berry, Gordon Linoff

                              Decision Support Systems and Intelligent Systems
                              by Efraim Turban, Jay E. Aronson

                              I am writing now a new book contains my evolutionary approach to software
                              development. When you master how to use the DevSpace, the VDL (Visual Design
                              Language) and the Engineering Process, you will see that UML became a toy,
                              and XP something from the past. This book will be published in 2004.

                              Mohammed Iqbal
                            • Michael T. Nygard
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 3, 2000
                                Smalltalk-80: The Language
                                The Pragmatic Programmer (just finished it)
                                The Birth of the Chaordic Age