RE: [XP] What are you reading guys?

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
      "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
      thing possible."

      Perhaps, Gareth, you need to write one. The rest of you, too.

      Kent
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
        Recently Read:
        Death March - Ed Yourdon
        The XP Canon (XPE, Refactoring, Design Patterns, etc)
        Code Complete - Steve McConnell
        H is for Homicide - Sue Grafton
        Just finished UML Distilled - Martin Fowler

        Now Reading:
        Thinking In Java - Bruce Eckel (Thanks Guys)
        Design Patterns - GOF (I'm always reading this it seems :) )
        Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
        Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
        I is for Innocent - Sue Grafton
        Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Steven Covey (again)
        Harry Potter and the Doomspell Tournament (in July)
        ...And now thanks to Phlip, the entire archive of Bruno the Bandit!!!

      • William Tozier
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
          At 11:42 AM -0500 on 6/1/00, Marco Dorantes wrote:

          >What are you reading guys?

          Inspiration for our startup's business and management practices:
          All the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold

          Regards,
          Tozier

          --------------
          William Tozier
          bill@...

          "Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody."
          -- Mark Twain
        • Marko Gargenta
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
            "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
            thing possible."

            There is a book by Edward deBono called Simplicity. It deals with that
            subject from how-to-think point of view.

            Marko

            > From: "Kent Beck" <kentbeck@...>
            > Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:38:07 -0700
            > To: <extremeprogramming@egroups.com>
            > Subject: RE: [XP] What are you reading guys?
            >
            > "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
            > thing possible."
            >
            > Perhaps, Gareth, you need to write one. The rest of you, too.
            >
            > Kent

            > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

          • Stephan Schmidt
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
              Mr. Bunny's Big Cup O' Java

              http://www.mrbunny.com/

              -stephan
            • Erik Meade
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                At 11:01 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Gareth wrote:

                >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.

                I recommend the Tao Te Ching.

                Erik Meade
              • Jeff Patton
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                  I'd back that as one of the best books on thinking simply.

                  -JP

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                    At 04:47 PM 6/1/2000 -0500, Erik Meade wrote:
                    > >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                    > >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
                    >
                    >I recommend the Tao Te Ching.

                    Takes a little interpretation getting it down to C++ code, of course ...

                  • Bill Caputo
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                      > At 04:47 PM 6/1/2000 -0500, Erik Meade wrote:
                      > > >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                      > > >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
                      > >
                      > >I recommend the Tao Te Ching.
                      >
                      > Takes a little interpretation getting it down to C++ code, of course ...

                      Didn't someone build a CASE tool for that?
                    • Alan Francis
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2000
                        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Ron Jeffries
                        <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
                        > At 11:42 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Marco Dorantes wrote:
                        > >What are you reading guys?
                        >
                        > The complete Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

                        Cool.

                        Are you comics fan, a Gaiman fan, or just trying it out ?

                        AlanFrancis (a comics fan, and a Gaiman fan :-)
                      • Alan Francis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 2, 2000
                          --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Marco Dorantes"
                          <marcodorantes@h...> wrote:
                          > What are you reading guys?

                          Get Big Fast : The Story of Amazon
                          Sex Tips for Girls - Cynthia Heimel (thanks Kent)
                          Principles of Scientific Management - FW Taylor (thanks again, Kent)
                          Love & Rockets book 4 - Los Bros Hernandez
                          Fire in the Valley- Mike Swaine
                          A History of Modern Computing - Ceruzzi
                          Cerebus - Dave Sim (since 1977 :)
                          Killer Content - Tomsen