RE: [XP] What are you reading guys?

  • Gareth Reeves
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
      > What are you reading guys?

      I am currently reading 'Innovators Dilemma' again and trying to work out if
      XP is a backhoe.

      But like Marco, I am reading less software/programming books & articles.
      There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
      thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.

      Gareth
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
        At 11:42 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Marco Dorantes wrote:
        >What are you reading guys?

        The complete Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.
        People Skills, by Robert Bolton, not that I need it.
        The Apocalypse Troll, by David Weber.

      • Kent Beck
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
          "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
          thing possible."

          Perhaps, Gareth, you need to write one. The rest of you, too.

          Kent
        • Bill Caputo
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
            Recently Read:
            Death March - Ed Yourdon
            The XP Canon (XPE, Refactoring, Design Patterns, etc)
            Code Complete - Steve McConnell
            H is for Homicide - Sue Grafton
            Just finished UML Distilled - Martin Fowler

            Now Reading:
            Thinking In Java - Bruce Eckel (Thanks Guys)
            Design Patterns - GOF (I'm always reading this it seems :) )
            Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
            Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
            I is for Innocent - Sue Grafton
            Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Steven Covey (again)
            Harry Potter and the Doomspell Tournament (in July)
            ...And now thanks to Phlip, the entire archive of Bruno the Bandit!!!

          • William Tozier
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
              At 11:42 AM -0500 on 6/1/00, Marco Dorantes wrote:

              >What are you reading guys?

              Inspiration for our startup's business and management practices:
              All the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold

              Regards,
              Tozier

              --------------
              William Tozier
              bill@...

              "Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody."
              -- Mark Twain
            • Marko Gargenta
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                thing possible."

                There is a book by Edward deBono called Simplicity. It deals with that
                subject from how-to-think point of view.

                Marko

                > From: "Kent Beck" <kentbeck@...>
                > Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:38:07 -0700
                > To: <extremeprogramming@egroups.com>
                > Subject: RE: [XP] What are you reading guys?
                >
                > "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                > thing possible."
                >
                > Perhaps, Gareth, you need to write one. The rest of you, too.
                >
                > Kent

                > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

              • Stephan Schmidt
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                  Mr. Bunny's Big Cup O' Java

                  http://www.mrbunny.com/

                  -stephan
                • Erik Meade
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                    At 11:01 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Gareth wrote:

                    >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                    >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.

                    I recommend the Tao Te Ching.

                    Erik Meade
                  • Jeff Patton
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                      I'd back that as one of the best books on thinking simply.

                      -JP

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                        At 04:47 PM 6/1/2000 -0500, Erik Meade wrote:
                        > >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                        > >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
                        >
                        >I recommend the Tao Te Ching.

                        Takes a little interpretation getting it down to C++ code, of course ...

                      • Bill Caputo
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                          > At 04:47 PM 6/1/2000 -0500, Erik Meade wrote:
                          > > >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                          > > >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
                          > >
                          > >I recommend the Tao Te Ching.
                          >
                          > Takes a little interpretation getting it down to C++ code, of course ...

                          Didn't someone build a CASE tool for that?
                        • Alan Francis
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2000
                            --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Ron Jeffries
                            <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
                            > At 11:42 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Marco Dorantes wrote:
                            > >What are you reading guys?
                            >
                            > The complete Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

                            Cool.

                            Are you comics fan, a Gaiman fan, or just trying it out ?

                            AlanFrancis (a comics fan, and a Gaiman fan :-)
                          • Alan Francis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2000
                              --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Marco Dorantes"
                              <marcodorantes@h...> wrote:
                              > What are you reading guys?

                              Get Big Fast : The Story of Amazon
                              Sex Tips for Girls - Cynthia Heimel (thanks Kent)
                              Principles of Scientific Management - FW Taylor (thanks again, Kent)
                              Love & Rockets book 4 - Los Bros Hernandez
                              Fire in the Valley- Mike Swaine
                              A History of Modern Computing - Ceruzzi
                              Cerebus - Dave Sim (since 1977 :)
                              Killer Content - Tomsen