Re: [XP] What are you reading guys?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
      From: Marco Dorantes

      > What are you reading guys?

      Bruno The Bandit!

      http://www.brunothebandit.com/

      Phlip
    • Keith Paton
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
        Safer C by Les Hatton
        Code Complete by Steve McConnell
        C Traps and Pitfalls by Andrew Koenig

        ----- Original Message -----
        From: "Marco Dorantes" <marcodorantes@...>
        To: <extremeprogramming@egroups.com>
        Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:42 PM
        Subject: [XP] What are you reading guys?

        > What are you reading guys?
        >
        > I used to read books and articles with the purpose of improve my day to
        day
        > software skills, nowadays Refactoring by Martin Fowler, XPE by Kent Beck,
        > More C++ Gems and The Pragmatic Programmer by Hunt and Thomas,
        >
        > Also, I used to read about ways to improve my management and consulting
        > skills, that is, negotiation, effective communication and business vision,
        > currently Secrets of Consulting by Gerald Weinberg, Succeeding With
        Objects:
        > Decision Frameworks for Project Management by Goldberg and Rubin, and
        > Peopleware by Tom DeMarco
        >
        > and you?
        >
        > Marco
        >
        > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

      • Joshua Macy/Towers Perrin
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
          The Pragmatic Programmer, Hunt & Thomas
          The Practice of Programming, Kernighan & Pike
          The Inmates are Running the Asylum, Cooper
          Python Programming on Win32, Hammond & Robinson
        • Dave Thomas
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
            "Joshua Macy/Towers Perrin" <macyj@...> writes:

            > The Pragmatic Programmer, Hunt & Thomas
            > The Practice of Programming, Kernighan & Pike
            > The Inmates are Running the Asylum, Cooper

            A somewhat unfortunate juxtaposition ;-)

            Inmate #5412-531
          • Ole Andersen
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
              Marco Dorantes asked:

              : What are you reading guys?
              :

              The Cluetrain Manifesto, by Levine, Locke, Searls & Weinberger
              Just Six Numbers, by Martin Rees
              The World Encyclopedia of Flags, by Alfred Znamierowski

              --
              Ole Andersen
              Brøndbyøster, Denmark

              A computer terminal is not some clunky old television with a typewriter
              in front of it. It is an interface where the mind and body can connect
              with the universe and move bits of it about.
              -Douglas Adams, "Mostly Harmless"
            • Scott Jackson
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                Eckel will be at Java One with the 2nd Edition of TIJ...

                Scott Jackson
                Process Engineer
                FastParts.com
                vox:408 360-1340
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                  my source code.

                  > I used to read books and articles with the purpose of improve my day to
                  day
                  > software skills, nowadays Refactoring by Martin Fowler, XPE by Kent Beck,
                  > More C++ Gems and The Pragmatic Programmer by Hunt and Thomas,
                  >
                  > Also, I used to read about ways to improve my management and consulting
                  > skills, that is, negotiation, effective communication and business vision,
                  > currently Secrets of Consulting by Gerald Weinberg, Succeeding With
                  Objects:
                  > Decision Frameworks for Project Management by Goldberg and Rubin, and
                  > Peopleware by Tom DeMarco
                  >
                  > and you?
                  >
                  > Marco
                • mohammad iqbal
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                    > What are you reading guys?

                    Your message.

                    Mohammed Iqbal
                  • Tonus, Valerie
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                      The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by by Deepak Chopra (over and over
                      again!)
                    • Phlip
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                        From: Stephan Schmidt

                        > http://www.mrbunny.com/

                        JFC, man! Amazon's reviewers all gave /Mr. Bunny's Guide to Activex/ five
                        stars!

                        Thanks for the lead!!

                        Phlip
                      • Jim Little
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                          Since nobody's mentioned it so far:

                          Sluggy Freelance
                          www.sluggy.com

                          Jim
                        • kjray
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                            > What are you reading guys?

                            "Practical Java" (the author's name not handy)

                            "The Inmates are Running the Asylum" by Cooper

                            "Fundamentals of Computer Graphics" by Foley and Van Dam

                            "QuickTime for Java" by Maremaa and Stewart
                          • Phlip
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                              > > What are you reading guys?

                              Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns...

                              Extreme Programming Installed...

                              Li'l Abner Dailies: 1946...

                              Conversations With Seth...

                              Fox in Socks...

                              RecentChanges...

                              ...and the back panel of a box of Nature's Path Organic HempPlus Granola.

                              Phlip
                              -- Just say no to Ritalin! --
                            • sharanya vemu
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 1, 2000
                                Reading Brethern-john grisham
                                Mastering XML
                                and XPInstalled _Final version

                                Sharanya
                                sharanya vemu
                                e-mail: sharanya@...

                                --
                                mailmetoday is a free e-mail service from India Today Group Online that also rewards you with cool gifts. Sign up now at http://www.mailmetoday.com
                              • Alan Francis
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                  --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Joshua Macy/Towers Perrin"
                                  <macyj@t...> wrote:

                                  I think that this:

                                  > The Pragmatic Programmer, Hunt & Thomas

                                  is what I hoped that this:

                                  > The Practice of Programming, Kernighan & Pike

                                  would be.

                                  I was *so* disappointed in the K&P book. Despiote their claims of
                                  multi-language coverage, it was really a C book.

                                  Imagine my surprise when I bought the Pragmatic Programmer and
                                  learned got what I was looking for :-)

                                  AlanFrancis

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                    > > What are you reading guys?

                                    The World According to Garp...

                                    Rabbit is Rich...

                                    The Hotel New Hampshire...

                                    Beauty's Punishment...

                                    Bag of Bones...

                                    NOT

                                    Phlip
                                  • Kent Quirk
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                      Marco Dorantes wrote:

                                      > What are you reading guys?

                                      Failure Is Not An Option, by Gene Krantz (former flight director of NASA
                                      - talk about a NON-XP work environment!)

                                      Python Essential Reference, David M Beazley

                                      Inside Direct3D (aaaaaa!), Peter Kovach

                                      Next on the list:

                                      Programming as if People Mattered, Nathaniel Borenstein

                                      Kent Quirk | CogniToy: Intelligent toys...
                                      Game Designer | for intelligent minds.
                                      kent_quirk@... | http://www.cognitoy.com/
                                      _____________________________|_________________________________________
                                    • ADAM_SHELLY@udlp.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                        Marco Dorantes wrote:

                                        > What are you reading guys?

                                        Ruminations on C++, Koenig & Moo
                                        Efficient C++, Bulka & Mayhew
                                        Freedom and Necessity, Brust & Bull

                                        Hmm, all Pair Authoring... wonder if that signifies anything?

                                        -Adam

                                        ---------------------
                                        Adam Shelly
                                        Simulation Engineer
                                        UDLP Training Systems
                                        adam_shelly@...
                                      • Malte Kroeger
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                          Things I recomend reading:

                                          Bertrand Meyer -- Object Oriented Software Construction, 2nd ed
                                          GoF -- Design Patterns
                                          Scott Adams -- The Dilbert Principle
                                          Tom DeMarco -- Peopleware, 2nd ed
                                          Tom DeMarco -- The Deadline
                                          Kent Beck -- eXtreme Programming explained
                                          Martin Fowler -- Refactoring

                                          Language specific:

                                          Bjarne Stroustrup -- C++ Programming Language, 3rd ed
                                          Scott Meyers -- Effective C++
                                          Bruce Eckel -- Thinking in Java

                                          What else I read:

                                          Frederick Brooks -- The Mythical Man Month, aniversary edition
                                          Robert Sebesta -- Concepts of Programming Languages
                                          Ivar Jacobson, ... -- The Unified Software Development Process
                                          Robert V. Binder -- Testing Objeckt-Oriented Systems
                                          Coulouris, Dollimore, Kindberg -- Distributed Systems
                                          Douglas Adams -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

                                          Malte
                                        • Peter Booth
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                            Web Development With Javaserver Pages
                                            by Duane K. Fields, Mark A. Kolb

                                            Bertrand Meyer -- Object Oriented Software Construction, 2nd ed
                                            (I am still, for more than a year, plugging my way through this)

                                            Joe Klein - The Running Mate

                                            Jane Smiley - Horse Heaven

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 2, 2000
                                              10 Projects You Can Do with Microsoft SQL Server 7
                                              by Watterson, Karen

                                              Windows NT/2000 Native API Reference
                                              by Gary Nebbett

                                              Building Financial Derivatives Applications With C++
                                              by Robert Brooks

                                              Data Mining Techniques Marketing, Sales, and Customer Support
                                              Michael Berry, Gordon Linoff

                                              Decision Support Systems and Intelligent Systems
                                              by Efraim Turban, Jay E. Aronson

                                              I am writing now a new book contains my evolutionary approach to software
                                              development. When you master how to use the DevSpace, the VDL (Visual Design
                                              Language) and the Engineering Process, you will see that UML became a toy,
                                              and XP something from the past. This book will be published in 2004.

                                              Mohammed Iqbal
                                            • Michael T. Nygard
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 3, 2000
                                                Smalltalk-80: The Language
                                                The Pragmatic Programmer (just finished it)
                                                The Birth of the Chaordic Age