RE: [XP] What are you reading guys?

  • Gareth Reeves
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
      > What are you reading guys?

      I am currently reading 'Innovators Dilemma' again and trying to work out if
      XP is a backhoe.

      But like Marco, I am reading less software/programming books & articles.
      There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
      thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.

      Gareth
    • Marco Dorantes
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
        What are you reading guys?

        I used to read books and articles with the purpose of improve my day to day
        software skills, nowadays Refactoring by Martin Fowler, XPE by Kent Beck,
        More C++ Gems and The Pragmatic Programmer by Hunt and Thomas,

        Also, I used to read about ways to improve my management and consulting
        skills, that is, negotiation, effective communication and business vision,
        currently Secrets of Consulting by Gerald Weinberg, Succeeding With Objects:
        Decision Frameworks for Project Management by Goldberg and Rubin, and
        Peopleware by Tom DeMarco

        and you?

        Marco
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
          At 11:42 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Marco Dorantes wrote:
          >What are you reading guys?

          The complete Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.
          People Skills, by Robert Bolton, not that I need it.
          The Apocalypse Troll, by David Weber.

        • Marko Gargenta
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
            Here is my recommended list at the bottom of this page:
            http://www.gargenta.com/marko/startups/book_list.html

            Marko

            > From: "Marco Dorantes" <marcodorantes@...>
            > Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:42:25 CDT
            > To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
            > Subject: [XP] What are you reading guys?
            >
            > What are you reading guys?
            >
            > I used to read books and articles with the purpose of improve my day to day
            > software skills, nowadays Refactoring by Martin Fowler, XPE by Kent Beck,
            > More C++ Gems and The Pragmatic Programmer by Hunt and Thomas,
            >
            > Also, I used to read about ways to improve my management and consulting
            > skills, that is, negotiation, effective communication and business vision,
            > currently Secrets of Consulting by Gerald Weinberg, Succeeding With Objects:
            > Decision Frameworks for Project Management by Goldberg and Rubin, and
            > Peopleware by Tom DeMarco
            >
            > and you?
            >
            > Marco
            >
            > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

          • Kent Beck
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
              "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
              thing possible."

              Perhaps, Gareth, you need to write one. The rest of you, too.

              Kent
            • Bill Caputo
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                Recently Read:
                Death March - Ed Yourdon
                The XP Canon (XPE, Refactoring, Design Patterns, etc)
                Code Complete - Steve McConnell
                H is for Homicide - Sue Grafton
                Just finished UML Distilled - Martin Fowler

                Now Reading:
                Thinking In Java - Bruce Eckel (Thanks Guys)
                Design Patterns - GOF (I'm always reading this it seems :) )
                Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
                Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
                I is for Innocent - Sue Grafton
                Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Steven Covey (again)
                Harry Potter and the Doomspell Tournament (in July)
                ...And now thanks to Phlip, the entire archive of Bruno the Bandit!!!

              • William Tozier
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                  At 11:42 AM -0500 on 6/1/00, Marco Dorantes wrote:

                  >What are you reading guys?

                  Inspiration for our startup's business and management practices:
                  All the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold

                  Regards,
                  Tozier

                  --------------
                  William Tozier
                  bill@...

                  "Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody."
                  -- Mark Twain
                • Marko Gargenta
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                    "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                    thing possible."

                    There is a book by Edward deBono called Simplicity. It deals with that
                    subject from how-to-think point of view.

                    Marko

                    > From: "Kent Beck" <kentbeck@...>
                    > Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:38:07 -0700
                    > To: <extremeprogramming@egroups.com>
                    > Subject: RE: [XP] What are you reading guys?
                    >
                    > "There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                    > thing possible."
                    >
                    > Perhaps, Gareth, you need to write one. The rest of you, too.
                    >
                    > Kent

                    > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

                  • Stephan Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                      Mr. Bunny's Big Cup O' Java

                      http://www.mrbunny.com/

                      -stephan
                    • Erik Meade
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                        At 11:01 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Gareth wrote:

                        >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                        >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.

                        I recommend the Tao Te Ching.

                        Erik Meade
                      • Jeff Patton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                          I'd back that as one of the best books on thinking simply.

                          -JP

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                            At 04:47 PM 6/1/2000 -0500, Erik Meade wrote:
                            > >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                            > >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
                            >
                            >I recommend the Tao Te Ching.

                            Takes a little interpretation getting it down to C++ code, of course ...

                          • Bill Caputo
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                              > At 04:47 PM 6/1/2000 -0500, Erik Meade wrote:
                              > > >There aren't many books out there which tell you how to do the simplest
                              > > >thing possible. If anyone knows of such a book, please let me know.
                              > >
                              > >I recommend the Tao Te Ching.
                              >
                              > Takes a little interpretation getting it down to C++ code, of course ...

                              Didn't someone build a CASE tool for that?
                            • Alan Francis
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 2, 2000
                                --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Ron Jeffries
                                <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
                                > At 11:42 AM 6/1/2000 -0500, Marco Dorantes wrote:
                                > >What are you reading guys?
                                >
                                > The complete Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.

                                Cool.

                                Are you comics fan, a Gaiman fan, or just trying it out ?

                                AlanFrancis (a comics fan, and a Gaiman fan :-)
                              • Alan Francis
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 2, 2000
                                  --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Marco Dorantes"
                                  <marcodorantes@h...> wrote:
                                  > What are you reading guys?

                                  Get Big Fast : The Story of Amazon
                                  Sex Tips for Girls - Cynthia Heimel (thanks Kent)
                                  Principles of Scientific Management - FW Taylor (thanks again, Kent)
                                  Love & Rockets book 4 - Los Bros Hernandez
                                  Fire in the Valley- Mike Swaine
                                  A History of Modern Computing - Ceruzzi
                                  Cerebus - Dave Sim (since 1977 :)
                                  Killer Content - Tomsen