RE: [XP] help me out--i'm A newbie

  • Ed de Jongh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hi Sharanya, don't feel alone. While I'm facinated by xp, I'm a novice
      programmer, infact Java is my first language and while I love coding, I
      constantly feel that I'm missing something. It is my belief that this can
      only lead to true OO nirvana (the alternative is what I'm currently
      experiencing and I just flat don't like it)

      so hang in their I believe that tenacity will show results.

      sincerely

      ed

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
        From: sharanya vemu

        > I'm pretty excited To be in this group.,amd learn this methdology,but i
        go thru the mails.,, i dont get much.,, can some one help me out with
        this.,??

        Here's a chart comparing XP to the way people who think they are experienced
        but really are newbies typically do things:

        __LightMethodology__ __CodeAndFix__
        Acceptance Tests Beta Testing
        Coding Standards Hungarian Notation
        Commitment Schedule But that was working yesterday
        Continuous Integration Integration Hell (or maybe just COM)
        Design By Contract We ain't using Eiffel here...
        Don't Repeat Yourself Copy-n-Paste Coding
        Frequent Releases We can't show them _that_!
        40 Hour Weeks Drugs
        Shared Code Ownership I can't fix this until Frank fixes that
        Onsite Customer Get out of my cube I'm working!
        Peer Review Get out of my cube I'm working!
        Planning Game Just e-mail us a requirements document.
        (We have a system for this...)
        Refactoring Don't touch that you might break it!
        System Metaphor The Analysis Document
        Unit Tests We don't have time for that
        You Won't Need It You Won't Need It (+ gold plating)

        Phlip