Re: [XP] help me out--i'm A newbie

  • Erik Meade
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2000
      http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgrammingRoadmap

      Is a good place to start on-line.

      Erik Meade

      At 11:34 PM 5/31/2000 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hiie Guyz!!
      >
      > I'm pretty excited To be in this group.,amd learn this methdology,but i
      > go thru the mails.,, i dont get much.,, can some one help me out with this.,??
      > Sharanya
      >sharanya vemu
      >e-mail: sharanya@...
      >

      >--
      >mailmetoday is a free e-mail service from India Today Group Online that
      >also rewards you with cool gifts. Sign up now at http://www.mailmetoday.com

      >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
    • Ed de Jongh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
        Hi Sharanya, don't feel alone. While I'm facinated by xp, I'm a novice
        programmer, infact Java is my first language and while I love coding, I
        constantly feel that I'm missing something. It is my belief that this can
        only lead to true OO nirvana (the alternative is what I'm currently
        experiencing and I just flat don't like it)

        so hang in their I believe that tenacity will show results.

        sincerely

        ed

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
          From: sharanya vemu

          > I'm pretty excited To be in this group.,amd learn this methdology,but i
          go thru the mails.,, i dont get much.,, can some one help me out with
          this.,??

          Here's a chart comparing XP to the way people who think they are experienced
          but really are newbies typically do things:

          __LightMethodology__ __CodeAndFix__
          Acceptance Tests Beta Testing
          Coding Standards Hungarian Notation
          Commitment Schedule But that was working yesterday
          Continuous Integration Integration Hell (or maybe just COM)
          Design By Contract We ain't using Eiffel here...
          Don't Repeat Yourself Copy-n-Paste Coding
          Frequent Releases We can't show them _that_!
          40 Hour Weeks Drugs
          Shared Code Ownership I can't fix this until Frank fixes that
          Onsite Customer Get out of my cube I'm working!
          Peer Review Get out of my cube I'm working!
          Planning Game Just e-mail us a requirements document.
          (We have a system for this...)
          Refactoring Don't touch that you might break it!
          System Metaphor The Analysis Document
          Unit Tests We don't have time for that
          You Won't Need It You Won't Need It (+ gold plating)

          Phlip