Report of Pair Programming Exercise at Aucklands Extreme Programming User Group

  • Keith Nicholas
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
      Hi all,

      Thought I'd give a report about an exercise to illustrate pair
      programming Rick Mugridge and I did for our local user group

      Process...

      1. Pair up
      2. 1 pen and some paper per pair
      3. Come up with ideas about things to design. (5 minutes)
      Ideas that were listed included things like "coffee machine",
      "exercise machine", "Car performance monitor", "Elevator controller",
      "Issue tracking system"

      4. Ideas were collected and written up on a board, pairs then chose an
      idea to work on.

      5. Pairs worked on their designs. Everything had to have tests to
      verify that the design works! (10 minutes)
      6. One half of each pair got swapped around. Worked continued on the
      design. (10 minutes)
      7. The other half of each pair swapped on to something different. (10
      minutes)

      8. Feedback / Debrief / Questions

      In the feedback we got lots of positive observation about pairing. We
      also got feedback about when the last pair (who weren't the instigators
      of the idea they were working on) found it hard to know exactly what was
      intended for the product to do...which is a great lead into talking
      about how practices work together to reinforce each other. In fact we
      got many questions about how to go about implementing pairing, the pros
      and cons, how to deal with all sorts of situations that might arise.

      Overall I think it was very successful in getting people to think about
      pairing and seemed to motivate a number of people to try it out in their
      teams.

      Regards,

      Keith Nicholas
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2002
        On 2002-09-05 at 15:25 Kay A. Pentecost wrote:

        >Hi, Everybody,
        <snip />

        >Does anyone have any idea what links my handwriting (AND printing)
        could
        >have to my ability as a software developer???

        No, but I'm pretty sure I can find a negative correlation between this
        kind of thing and the quality of your prospective employer...

        J. B. Rainsberger,
        President, Diaspar Software Services
        Let's write software that people understand.
        http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
        telephone: +1 416 791-8603
        All correspondence (c) 2002 Diaspar Software Services.
        If you want to use it, just ask; don't steal.