Re: [XP] Getting the message across

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 2, 2002
      On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 18:22, dhemeryy wrote:
      > Hi Keith,
      >
      > > XP is simple to do.
      > > Its not easy to understand...
      > >
      > > ...Until you do XP
      >
      > It isn't clear to me that it's easy to understand even then. But if
      > people have good experiences with XP, even if they don't understand
      > how the simple rules create the good results, they begin to trust it.

      Agreed. Since my recent bike-riding metaphor, I've been trying to figure
      out how I ride a bike. It's hideously complicated, especially the magic
      that keeps me balanced when I'm focused on dealing with an emergency.
      Still, I've been riding long enough that I'd have no fear of hopping on
      my bike and doing a 25-mile ride.

      William

      --
      brains for sale: http://scissor.com/
    • dhemeryy
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 5, 2002
        Hi Ron,

        > > Yes. I meant to say that my understanding of acceptance tests
        > > (which I may choose to change) is that they operate through the
        > > same interfaces the users operate through.
        >
        > That is not my understanding of acceptance tests. My understanding
        > of acceptance tests is that they are tests that provide the
        > customers with confirmation that the system probably does what they
        > asked it to do.

        Yes, that's the defining characteristic of acceptance tests. "Operate
        through the same interfaces the users operate through" is not a
        defining characteristic, but is typically true of the acceptance tests
        used on the non-XP projects I've known.

        > I've never seen an XP team that did most or all their acceptance
        > tests through the GUI. There may be some, but I've never seen one.

        Yes. It's taken me a long time to clarify the difference between what
        XP projects think of acceptance tests and how I've thought of
        acceptance tests (assuming that I understand it even now). This is
        one of the things that has been difficult for me to learn about XP.

        Dale