RE: [XP] Open workspace

  • Bryan Dollery
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Jonas,

      > I'm looking for information about open workspace, primarily articles.

      You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.

      www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • Jonas Bengtsson
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
        Ron wrote:
        > Here's one on the effects. Is that what you were interested in, or
        > were you looking for something else?

        > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001206144705.htm

        > "Working Together In 'War Rooms' Doubles Teams' Productivity,
        > University Of Michigan Researchers Find"

        Ron,
        Yes, this was interesting. It would also be interesting with articles
        more focused on describing how open workspace influence communication,
        team jelling (not yelling :-) ), and things like that.

        Bryan wrote:
        > You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.
        > www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

        Bryan,
        Thanks!

        I will keep on looking. I let you know if I find anything interesting!

        --
        Best regards,
        Jonas

        This is like deja vu all over again.
        - Yogi Berra
      • William Pietri
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
          On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 05:03, Bryan Dollery wrote:
          > Hi Jonas,
          >
          > > I'm looking for information about open workspace, primarily articles.
          >
          > You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.
          >
          > www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

          Personally, I don't find this contradictory.

          In a team environment, I don't mind nearby chatter about the project; it
          keeps me informed about what's going on without really interrupting my
          train of thought. Indeed, if I don't have that, I feel I have to spend a
          lot more time visiting other team members and doing group activities so
          I can keep in touch.

          But if I have to sit near people working on different projects, I'll
          usually wear headphones; interruptions that are irrelevant to what I'm
          doing can throw me seriously off my pace. When I'm doing solo work, I
          strongly prefer isolation.

          So were I to find a broader rule to encompass the two, it would be
          something like, "The workspace should be tailored to the desired social
          dynamic."

          William

          --
          brains for sale: http://scissor.com/
        • C. Keith Ray
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 6, 2002
            on 2002.09.01 6:42 AM, Jonas Bengtsson at caelumse@... wrote:

            > Ron wrote:
            >> Here's one on the effects. Is that what you were interested in, or
            >> were you looking for something else?
            >
            >> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001206144705.htm
            >
            >> "Working Together In 'War Rooms' Doubles Teams' Productivity,
            >> University Of Michigan Researchers Find"
            >
            > Ron,
            > Yes, this was interesting. It would also be interesting with articles
            > more focused on describing how open workspace influence communication,
            > team jelling (not yelling :-) ), and things like that.
            >
            > Bryan wrote:
            >> You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.
            >> www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

            In DeMarco and Lister's PeopleWare [first edition: 1987], I recall that they
            said programmers spend about 30 to 40 percent of their time collaborating
            with others, but then they recommend private offices (with room for a second
            person in front of the computer?).

            It has been said on this mailing list that DeMarco and Lister were not
            looking for productivity "in collaboration" because they were solo
            programmer themselves, so they didn't think to recommend optimizing that
            aspect of the work-place.

            Since DeMarco has had some involvement in at least one XP conference since
            then, he may have changed his mind. (See the following..)

            Here's a quote from <http://www.dorsethouse.com/news/interviews/intpw2.html>

            DHQ: In Peopleware terms, what have been the healthiest and sickest trends
            of the last ten years?

            DeMARCO and LISTER: Healthy: small empowered teams, co-location, lots of job
            formation in new companies with no institutional baggage.
            Not so healthy: level envy, process obsession, most
            "team building exercises," distributed "teams," and Management by
            Objectives.

            ----

            C. Keith Ray