Open workspace

  • Jonas Bengtsson
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      I'm looking for information about open workspace, primarily articles.

      --
      Best regards,
      Jonas

      Minds are like parachutes: they only function when open.
      - Thomas R. Dewar
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
        Around Sunday, September 1, 2002, 7:24:44 AM, Jonas Bengtsson wrote:

        > I'm looking for information about open workspace, primarily articles.

        Here's one on the effects. Is that what you were interested in, or
        were you looking for something else?

        http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001206144705.htm

        "Working Together In 'War Rooms' Doubles Teams' Productivity,
        University Of Michigan Researchers Find"

        The greatest mistake we make is living in constant fear that we will make one.
        -- John Maxwell
      • Bryan Dollery
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
          Hi Jonas,

          > I'm looking for information about open workspace, primarily articles.

          You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.

          www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • Jonas Bengtsson
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
            Ron wrote:
            > Here's one on the effects. Is that what you were interested in, or
            > were you looking for something else?

            > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001206144705.htm

            > "Working Together In 'War Rooms' Doubles Teams' Productivity,
            > University Of Michigan Researchers Find"

            Ron,
            Yes, this was interesting. It would also be interesting with articles
            more focused on describing how open workspace influence communication,
            team jelling (not yelling :-) ), and things like that.

            Bryan wrote:
            > You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.
            > www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

            Bryan,
            Thanks!

            I will keep on looking. I let you know if I find anything interesting!

            --
            Best regards,
            Jonas

            This is like deja vu all over again.
            - Yogi Berra
          • William Pietri
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 1, 2002
              On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 05:03, Bryan Dollery wrote:
              > Hi Jonas,
              >
              > > I'm looking for information about open workspace, primarily articles.
              >
              > You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.
              >
              > www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

              Personally, I don't find this contradictory.

              In a team environment, I don't mind nearby chatter about the project; it
              keeps me informed about what's going on without really interrupting my
              train of thought. Indeed, if I don't have that, I feel I have to spend a
              lot more time visiting other team members and doing group activities so
              I can keep in touch.

              But if I have to sit near people working on different projects, I'll
              usually wear headphones; interruptions that are irrelevant to what I'm
              doing can throw me seriously off my pace. When I'm doing solo work, I
              strongly prefer isolation.

              So were I to find a broader rule to encompass the two, it would be
              something like, "The workspace should be tailored to the desired social
              dynamic."

              William

              --
              brains for sale: http://scissor.com/
            • C. Keith Ray
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 6, 2002
                on 2002.09.01 6:42 AM, Jonas Bengtsson at caelumse@... wrote:

                > Ron wrote:
                >> Here's one on the effects. Is that what you were interested in, or
                >> were you looking for something else?
                >
                >> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/12/001206144705.htm
                >
                >> "Working Together In 'War Rooms' Doubles Teams' Productivity,
                >> University Of Michigan Researchers Find"
                >
                > Ron,
                > Yes, this was interesting. It would also be interesting with articles
                > more focused on describing how open workspace influence communication,
                > team jelling (not yelling :-) ), and things like that.
                >
                > Bryan wrote:
                >> You may be interested in a counter argument from DeMarco and Lister.
                >> www.chrisfoxinc.com/OfficeEnvironmentAndProductivity.htm

                In DeMarco and Lister's PeopleWare [first edition: 1987], I recall that they
                said programmers spend about 30 to 40 percent of their time collaborating
                with others, but then they recommend private offices (with room for a second
                person in front of the computer?).

                It has been said on this mailing list that DeMarco and Lister were not
                looking for productivity "in collaboration" because they were solo
                programmer themselves, so they didn't think to recommend optimizing that
                aspect of the work-place.

                Since DeMarco has had some involvement in at least one XP conference since
                then, he may have changed his mind. (See the following..)

                Here's a quote from <http://www.dorsethouse.com/news/interviews/intpw2.html>

                DHQ: In Peopleware terms, what have been the healthiest and sickest trends
                of the last ten years?

                DeMARCO and LISTER: Healthy: small empowered teams, co-location, lots of job
                formation in new companies with no institutional baggage.
                Not so healthy: level envy, process obsession, most
                "team building exercises," distributed "teams," and Management by
                Objectives.

                ----

                C. Keith Ray