Re: [XP] Re: Getting the message across

    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 31, 2002
      Around Sunday, September 1, 2002, 12:58:30 AM, aacockburn wrote:

      > Could be time to try an alternate strategy.
      > Anyone found anything more effective than gnashing teeth?

      Repetition. And I repeat myself a lot. Doesn't help with people
      understanding but my teeth last longer.

      Steering is more important than speed,
      in driving and in software development.
    • dhemeryy
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 5, 2002
        Hi Ron,

        > > Yes. I meant to say that my understanding of acceptance tests
        > > (which I may choose to change) is that they operate through the
        > > same interfaces the users operate through.
        >
        > That is not my understanding of acceptance tests. My understanding
        > of acceptance tests is that they are tests that provide the
        > customers with confirmation that the system probably does what they
        > asked it to do.

        Yes, that's the defining characteristic of acceptance tests. "Operate
        through the same interfaces the users operate through" is not a
        defining characteristic, but is typically true of the acceptance tests
        used on the non-XP projects I've known.

        > I've never seen an XP team that did most or all their acceptance
        > tests through the GUI. There may be some, but I've never seen one.

        Yes. It's taken me a long time to clarify the difference between what
        XP projects think of acceptance tests and how I've thought of
        acceptance tests (assuming that I understand it even now). This is
        one of the things that has been difficult for me to learn about XP.

        Dale