Name for a Rule

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 71 , May 30, 2000
      There is a rule that says "only commit for tomorrow what you actually
      accomplished today". This works at the level of teams committing to an
      iteration's worth of stories, or an individual committing to an iteration's
      worth of tasks. What's the name of this rule (a la Weinberg's "Secrets of
      Consulting" rules)?

      Martin and I are finishing up the second draft of Planning Extreme
      Programming, and we would like to have a name, because it comes up all the
      time.

      Our two candidates, neither of which we really like, are:

      Yesterday's Weather Rule. There is an apocryphal story of the Austrian
      weather service spending oodles of money for a forecasting system that
      achieved 69% accuracy, almost precisely the same accuracy as can be achieved
      by saying, "tomorrow's weather will be precisely like today's".

      This misses the sense of the rule in which it prevents you from being unduly
      optimistic. One of the great things about the rule is it is so adaptive. If
      you think you'll go faster this iteration, then you will, and it won't be
      more than one iteration before your new speed will be reflected in the plan.
      What tends to happen, though, is that this iterations surprises are replaced
      by new surprises next iteration. This leads us to the other candidate:

      The Monthly Budget Rule. Next month plan on spending about as much as you
      spent this month. "Oh, I had to replace the dishwasher, so next month won't
      be so bad." Guess again.

      Other suggestions? Or does one of these fit perfectly and we just can't see
      it in the throes of "almost done book angst"?

      Kent
      P.S. The book will be out at OOPSLA. We will post the draft here for review
      in a couple of weeks.
    • Tonus, Valerie
      Message 71 of 71 , Jun 1, 2000
        What about the ne plus ultra rule?

        [Latin n pls ultr, (go) no more beyond (this point): n, no + pls, more +
        ultr, , beyond.]

        Everyone loves Latin, right?