Re: [XP] Petition the King

    Message 1 of 70 , Aug 1, 2002
      Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 3:32:27 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:

      > If I've figured out the metaphor correctly, the "king" represents the
      > development team (or the designated leader thereof) and the "villagers"
      > represent multiple customers with differing agendas and needs.

      I think the King is some kind of manager or meta-customer, actually

      The central "e" in "Jeffries" is silent ... and invisible.
      Message 70 of 70 , Aug 6, 2002
        Around Monday, August 5, 2002, 11:28:37 PM, Brad Appleton wrote:

        > But I don't see the list as the problem, And I don't see a need to
        > refuse to track requests in a very simple tracking database, so long
        > as I make darn sure I make use of that REJECTED/CANCEL states and
        > transitions.

        > I see the real issue as knowing how to "transmogrify" those invertebrates into vertebrates. Even if the
        > customer speaks with ONE VOICE, fear and spinelessness will sink me everytime.

        I agree entirely on invertebration, I often feel folks need to evolve
        a bit. However, I respectfully suggest that PTK represents a very
        different data model from the one in the first para above.

        The model above tracks requests in a central location, and compares
        them, implicitly at least and usually explicitly, one to the other.

        PTK /does not track/ requests. Requests are never compared. Modulo the
        length of the King's iteration, they are either invisible, or granted.
        PTK is a distributed model of request status tracking.

        PTK is a metaphor. Its purpose is to transform our minds when we look
        at our backlog, as a group of developers. Its purpose is to remind us
        that the request belongs to its real sponsor, and the image of the set
        of all requests is an illusion.

        The purpose of PTK is to transfer us to a different world for a
        moment. If, after visiting that world, we want to return to the one
        where requests can be DONE, PENDING, REJECTED, CANCELLED, REAL
        SOON NOW, PROBABLY NOT THIS YEAR, and YOU ARE DREAMING, we can go back
        there. Just remember that in that world, there are two important
        states that aren't handled: NOT WANTED ANY MORE, and HASN'T BEEN HEARD
        OF YET. In the PTK world, all those states are, so far, outside the
        metaphor.

        Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda