RE: [XP] Lisp's attractions (was: Polymorphism)

  • Kari Hoijarvi
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 7:44 AM
      I got interested in Lisp in 1984. Because I had no interpreter
      available, I decided to make my own.

      It took three weeks and 1400 lines of Pascal. I was a beginner then.

      Anyway, I think it was one of my best learning experiences ever.

      Kari

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 11:41 PM
        On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Kari Hoijarvi wrote:

        > I got interested in Lisp in 1984. Because I had no interpreter
        > available, I decided to make my own.
        >
        > It took three weeks and 1400 lines of Pascal. I was a beginner then.
        >
        > Anyway, I think it was one of my best learning experiences ever.

        And Ah! there you have it, lisp's attraction. It would have taken you 2000
        lines or more to write a Pascal interpreter in any language of your
        choice.

        But it takes you a screen full of lisp to write a lisp interpreter in
        lisp.

        Now if you really want elegance and beauty, try joy.

        joy0 ==
        [ [ [ joy0 body joy0 ]
        [ [] ]
        [ pop pop pop ]
        [ cons pop cons ]
        [ opcase pop opcase ]
        [ body pop body ]
        [ i pop joy0 ]
        [ step pop [joy0] cons step ]
        [ [] cons i ] ]
        opcase
        i ]
        step

        is a minimal Joy interpreter written in Joy. See

        http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/joy/jp-joyjoy.html

        for an explanation...
        --

        John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
        Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632

        This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
        information which may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not
        the intended recipient please do not read, save, forward, disclose, or
        copy the contents of this email. If this email has been sent to you in
        error, please notify the sender by reply email and he will be
        along to delete you, this email and any copies or links to this email.
        No representation is made that this email, you, or the sender are free of
        viruses. Virus scanning and prevention is recommended and is the
        responsibility of consenting adults.
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 11:50 PM
          Around Friday, August 2, 2002, 2:41:51 AM, John Carter wrote:

          > Now if you really want elegance and beauty, try joy.

          Reminds me of Forth ...

          You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure,
          what you do not understand. --Leonardo da Vinci
        • Mike Beedle
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1 11:58 PM
            Ron wrote:
            > John wrote:
            > > Now if you really want elegance and beauty, try joy.
            >
            > Reminds me of Forth ...

            ... it is its functional cousin:
            http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/joy/forth-joy.html

            - Mike