RE: [XP] what's the deal with CRC Cards?

  • Fuqua, Andrew (ISSAtlanta)
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
      In the early days of this project, we drew and erased and drew and erased on
      a white board until (1) we understood it, (2) we knew it, and (3) we agreed
      on it. But the path we were taking hadn't been clearly set -- there wasn't a
      lot of pre-existing code to guide (constrict) our path. And there were
      bigger holes to fill in. So we had to refer to the board a lot -- it aided
      our memory.

      Now, a year and a half later, we're blazing fewer new trails -- our path is
      often set by existing code. New code seems to fit a certain way in the
      puzzle. We don't need many new diagrams. Our structure is stable. What
      scribbling we do is simple enough to keep in our head.

      The net is, earlier on, I find Ron's 3 more helpful. Later on, I find
      Bryan's 3 sufficient.

      andrew
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
        Step 0, install a whiteboard near the computers.

      • Charlie Poole
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
          Phil

          > Another thought on CRC. I guess in terms of what place they have,
          > I can say a brief word. Because I recon they occupy the same place
          > as UML. <snip/>

          Have you done role-playing with with CRC cards? Used that way, they
          bring the out the object interactions very quickly and make it
          obvious where you need to make changes. The process feels quite
          different from a group drawing diagrams at the whiteboard and it
          benefits from the fact that users can get involved.

          Charlie Poole
          cpoole@...
          www.pooleconsulting.com
          www.charliepoole.org
        • Phil Lewis
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
            We haven't tried it this way. A lot of my team had really bad views of
            role-playing. It was greatly disparaged, and as UML was delivering the
            goods, there seemed little point forcing people to do something they
            disliked.

            With a different team, I would probably try it.