RE: [XP] Lisp's attractions (was: Polymorphism)

  • Bill de hÓra
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 3:26 AM
      > Around Wednesday, July 31, 2002, 11:46:07 AM, kevinbsmith wrote:
      >
      > > Posting cryptic fragments like this probably doesn't inspire
      > > many of us to want to learn more about the language.

      Not cryptic; idiomatic.

      regards,
      Bill de hÓra
      ..
      Propylon
      www.propylon.com
    • Kari Hoijarvi
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 7:44 AM
        I got interested in Lisp in 1984. Because I had no interpreter
        available, I decided to make my own.

        It took three weeks and 1400 lines of Pascal. I was a beginner then.

        Anyway, I think it was one of my best learning experiences ever.

        Kari

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 11:41 PM
          On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Kari Hoijarvi wrote:

          > I got interested in Lisp in 1984. Because I had no interpreter
          > available, I decided to make my own.
          >
          > It took three weeks and 1400 lines of Pascal. I was a beginner then.
          >
          > Anyway, I think it was one of my best learning experiences ever.

          And Ah! there you have it, lisp's attraction. It would have taken you 2000
          lines or more to write a Pascal interpreter in any language of your
          choice.

          But it takes you a screen full of lisp to write a lisp interpreter in
          lisp.

          Now if you really want elegance and beauty, try joy.

          joy0 ==
          [ [ [ joy0 body joy0 ]
          [ [] ]
          [ pop pop pop ]
          [ cons pop cons ]
          [ opcase pop opcase ]
          [ body pop body ]
          [ i pop joy0 ]
          [ step pop [joy0] cons step ]
          [ [] cons i ] ]
          opcase
          i ]
          step

          is a minimal Joy interpreter written in Joy. See

          http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/joy/jp-joyjoy.html

          for an explanation...
          --

          John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
          Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632

          This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
          information which may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not
          the intended recipient please do not read, save, forward, disclose, or
          copy the contents of this email. If this email has been sent to you in
          error, please notify the sender by reply email and he will be
          along to delete you, this email and any copies or links to this email.
          No representation is made that this email, you, or the sender are free of
          viruses. Virus scanning and prevention is recommended and is the
          responsibility of consenting adults.
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1 11:50 PM
            Around Friday, August 2, 2002, 2:41:51 AM, John Carter wrote:

            > Now if you really want elegance and beauty, try joy.

            Reminds me of Forth ...

            You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure,
            what you do not understand. --Leonardo da Vinci
          • Mike Beedle
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1 11:58 PM
              Ron wrote:
              > John wrote:
              > > Now if you really want elegance and beauty, try joy.
              >
              > Reminds me of Forth ...

              ... it is its functional cousin:
              http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/joy/forth-joy.html

              - Mike