Re: RE: [XP] Re: Polymorphism

  • Ilja Preuß
    Message 1 of 100 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Bryan,

      > > My impression is that the intend of the above mentioned design
      > > patterns is exactly the opposite: *changing* the behaviour of a
      > > system by substituting an object for another without the clients
      > > caring. For example, I don't think that a Decorator typically is
      > > a subtype of the type it is decorating, at least according to
      > > the rules of the LSP.
      >
      > Quoted from GOF:
      >
      > 1. Interface conformance. A decorator object's interface MUST conform to
      > the interface of the component it decorates.

      Does that mean it must show the same behaviour in the sense of the LSP?

      How about the Visitor pattern?

      Ilja
      Die clevere Geldreserve: der DiBa-Privatkredit. Funktioniert wie ein Dispo,
      ist aber viel gunstiger! Alle Infos: http://diba.web.de/?mc=021104
    • Kay A. Pentecost
      Message 100 of 100 , Aug 3, 2002
        Hi, Jeff, Dossy, John, Brad, Everybody!!

        And a one and a two and... uh... wrong rhythm...

        > Now as for "lambda-calculus"...
        > See: http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/lambda-calculus
        >
        > "A branch of mathematical logic developed by Alonzo Church in the
        > late 1930s and early 1940s, dealing with the application of functions
        > to their arguments." ... "Most functional programming languages are
        > equivalent to lambda-calculus [with some convenient extensions]."
        > (It's used in the LISP language, for instance.)
        >

        > As a practical matter, it's a syntax for defining functions --
        > often "at run time."
        >
        > It's assumed that functions have no "side effects." That is, that
        > they perform some operation on their input arguments and return a
        > complex result -- but do not change global variables or data on disk
        > as a "side effect."
        >
        > To do this in Visual Basic, your functions would have to return
        > Collections and arrays, and many elements of those would be
        > Collections and arrays and other complext types, down to some
        > arbitrary level of nesting. This could be really confusing in Visual
        > Basic, but it can be an effective approach to handle complex
        > processing problems if done consistently, with appropriate language
        > support.
        >
        > Historically, these concepts have been used in artificial
        > intelligence and other highly data-driven applications.

        Gee, Jeff, did you go to MIT???

        Thanks to all for *all* the answers... sorry it took me so long to respond!!

        I didn't know unemployment would be so *hectic*!!

        First installment of Kay's Excellent Adventure at the XP Workshop starts
        next week!!

        Stay tuned!

        Kay