RE: [XP] Research on social issues

  • Bryan Dollery
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Guys,

      > Despite all the research done by computer scientists, there is
      > no equivalent
      > in software for the fundamental laws of physics. This lack of
      > theory, or at
      > least the lack of practically applicable theories, makes it
      > difficult to do
      > any reasoning about software without actually building it. By Philippe
      > Kruchten.

      Why are people here arguing with Kruchten? His conclusion is sound, and is
      exactly the same conclusion Kent, Ron, Ward, and others reached a few years
      ago - that currently the best information we can get about a software
      system is to build it.

      An illogical argument doesn't necessarily lead to the wrong conclusion.

      Cheers,

      Bryan
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
        Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 6:01:44 AM, John Lindsey wrote:

        > Care to list a few of the fundamental laws of software?

        I was thinking, as were other posters, of automata theory, turing
        machines, and the like. One might want to add in category theory, set
        theory, number theory, and a bunch of other math stuff.

        As for laws like Newton's, that we learned in grade school, those
        aren't even laws of physics. All the laws of physics are so
        mathematical that I can't understand them.

        Unless Wolfram is right, in which case, I just can't lift the book to
        find out whether I understand it or not.

        Analysis kills spontaneity.
        The grain once ground into flour germinates no more. -- Henri Amiel
      • Ilja Preuß
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
          > > * Misunderstandings in requirements interpretation
          >
          > on-site customer; planning game; customer tests.

          and frequent releases, I would think.

          Regards, Ilja
          ich.bin@... - nur eine der witzigsten E-Mail-Adressen der Welt!
          Interesse? Klicken! http://digitaledienste.web.de/MyAdress/?mc=021104
        • jeffgrigg63132
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002

            --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
            > I would have said that XP /is/ a method for dealing with social
            > issues, and guiding how issues shall be resolved, socially.

            On the social side, I'll also recommend something Ron recommended to
            me: "The Core Protocol", as described in the book "Software for Your
            Head" (ISBN: 0201604566) and available for download from their web
            site: http://www.mccarthy-tech.com/

            Described briefly, I say that if you want to form teams and make
            them "gell" quickly and consistently, use the Core Protocol. It's
            designed to do that. (Teams that don't "gell" are remarkably
            *IN*effective.)

            I can't claim to have any experience using the Core Protocol /
            Software for Your Head, but it looks very promising to me.