RE: [XP] Research on social issues

  • Bryan Dollery
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Ron,

      > > Despite all the research done by computer scientists, there is
      > no equivalent
      > > in software for the fundamental laws of physics. This lack of
      > theory, or at
      > > least the lack of practically applicable theories, makes it
      > difficult to do
      > > any reasoning about software without actually building it. By Philippe
      > > Kruchten.
      >
      > With some others here, I'd deny this. Software does have fundamental
      > laws, and they are better understood than those of physics.

      Wow, that's a bold statement - what 'Laws' were you thinking of Ron?

      > And those laws are just as useful to people writing software as the
      > laws of physics are to people building houses.

      :-)

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • Bryan Dollery
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi Guys,

        > Despite all the research done by computer scientists, there is
        > no equivalent
        > in software for the fundamental laws of physics. This lack of
        > theory, or at
        > least the lack of practically applicable theories, makes it
        > difficult to do
        > any reasoning about software without actually building it. By Philippe
        > Kruchten.

        Why are people here arguing with Kruchten? His conclusion is sound, and is
        exactly the same conclusion Kent, Ron, Ward, and others reached a few years
        ago - that currently the best information we can get about a software
        system is to build it.

        An illogical argument doesn't necessarily lead to the wrong conclusion.

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
          Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 6:01:44 AM, John Lindsey wrote:

          > Care to list a few of the fundamental laws of software?

          I was thinking, as were other posters, of automata theory, turing
          machines, and the like. One might want to add in category theory, set
          theory, number theory, and a bunch of other math stuff.

          As for laws like Newton's, that we learned in grade school, those
          aren't even laws of physics. All the laws of physics are so
          mathematical that I can't understand them.

          Unless Wolfram is right, in which case, I just can't lift the book to
          find out whether I understand it or not.

          Analysis kills spontaneity.
          The grain once ground into flour germinates no more. -- Henri Amiel
        • Ilja Preuß
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002
            > > * Misunderstandings in requirements interpretation
            >
            > on-site customer; planning game; customer tests.

            and frequent releases, I would think.

            Regards, Ilja
            ich.bin@... - nur eine der witzigsten E-Mail-Adressen der Welt!
            Interesse? Klicken! http://digitaledienste.web.de/MyAdress/?mc=021104
          • jeffgrigg63132
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2002

              --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
              > I would have said that XP /is/ a method for dealing with social
              > issues, and guiding how issues shall be resolved, socially.

              On the social side, I'll also recommend something Ron recommended to
              me: "The Core Protocol", as described in the book "Software for Your
              Head" (ISBN: 0201604566) and available for download from their web
              site: http://www.mccarthy-tech.com/

              Described briefly, I say that if you want to form teams and make
              them "gell" quickly and consistently, use the Core Protocol. It's
              designed to do that. (Teams that don't "gell" are remarkably
              *IN*effective.)

              I can't claim to have any experience using the Core Protocol /
              Software for Your Head, but it looks very promising to me.