Re: [XP] what's the deal with CRC Cards?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
      Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 5:52:47 AM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

      >> 1. Draw it on a white board;
      >> 2. Use white board as guide to coding tests;
      >> 3. Erase whiteboard when someone wants the space.

      > And I thought that you were meant to be extreme!

      > What's wrong with

      > 1. Draw it on a whiteboard
      > 2. Rub it out
      > 3. Go code it TFD

      It's called Extreme Programming, not Memory Extension.

      Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.
    • Fuqua, Andrew (ISSAtlanta)
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
        In the early days of this project, we drew and erased and drew and erased on
        a white board until (1) we understood it, (2) we knew it, and (3) we agreed
        on it. But the path we were taking hadn't been clearly set -- there wasn't a
        lot of pre-existing code to guide (constrict) our path. And there were
        bigger holes to fill in. So we had to refer to the board a lot -- it aided
        our memory.

        Now, a year and a half later, we're blazing fewer new trails -- our path is
        often set by existing code. New code seems to fit a certain way in the
        puzzle. We don't need many new diagrams. Our structure is stable. What
        scribbling we do is simple enough to keep in our head.

        The net is, earlier on, I find Ron's 3 more helpful. Later on, I find
        Bryan's 3 sufficient.

        andrew
        Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 5:52:47 AM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

        >> 1. Draw it on a white board;
        >> 2. Use white board as guide to coding tests;
        >> 3. Erase whiteboard when someone wants the space.

        > And I thought that you were meant to be extreme!

        > What's wrong with

        > 1. Draw it on a whiteboard
        > 2. Rub it out
        > 3. Go code it TFD

        It's called Extreme Programming, not Memory Extension.

        Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.

        ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

      • Dinwiddie, George
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
          Step 0, install a whiteboard near the computers.

        • Charlie Poole
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
            Phil

            > Another thought on CRC. I guess in terms of what place they have,
            > I can say a brief word. Because I recon they occupy the same place
            > as UML. <snip/>

            Have you done role-playing with with CRC cards? Used that way, they
            bring the out the object interactions very quickly and make it
            obvious where you need to make changes. The process feels quite
            different from a group drawing diagrams at the whiteboard and it
            benefits from the fact that users can get involved.

            Charlie Poole
            cpoole@...
            www.pooleconsulting.com
            www.charliepoole.org
          • Phil Lewis
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
              We haven't tried it this way. A lot of my team had really bad views of
              role-playing. It was greatly disparaged, and as UML was delivering the
              goods, there seemed little point forcing people to do something they
              disliked.

              With a different team, I would probably try it.