Re: [XP] what's the deal with CRC Cards?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
      Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 5:48:38 AM, Phil Lewis wrote:

      > I was distracted by the fact that we cannot see the whiteboard from where we
      > code.

      Ohhhh ... then work on that, not on diagrams ... ;->

      The practices are not the knowing: they are a path to the knowing.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
        Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 5:52:47 AM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

        >> 1. Draw it on a white board;
        >> 2. Use white board as guide to coding tests;
        >> 3. Erase whiteboard when someone wants the space.

        > And I thought that you were meant to be extreme!

        > What's wrong with

        > 1. Draw it on a whiteboard
        > 2. Rub it out
        > 3. Go code it TFD

        It's called Extreme Programming, not Memory Extension.

        Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.
      • Fuqua, Andrew (ISSAtlanta)
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
          In the early days of this project, we drew and erased and drew and erased on
          a white board until (1) we understood it, (2) we knew it, and (3) we agreed
          on it. But the path we were taking hadn't been clearly set -- there wasn't a
          lot of pre-existing code to guide (constrict) our path. And there were
          bigger holes to fill in. So we had to refer to the board a lot -- it aided
          our memory.

          Now, a year and a half later, we're blazing fewer new trails -- our path is
          often set by existing code. New code seems to fit a certain way in the
          puzzle. We don't need many new diagrams. Our structure is stable. What
          scribbling we do is simple enough to keep in our head.

          The net is, earlier on, I find Ron's 3 more helpful. Later on, I find
          Bryan's 3 sufficient.

          andrew
          Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 5:52:47 AM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

          >> 1. Draw it on a white board;
          >> 2. Use white board as guide to coding tests;
          >> 3. Erase whiteboard when someone wants the space.

          > And I thought that you were meant to be extreme!

          > What's wrong with

          > 1. Draw it on a whiteboard
          > 2. Rub it out
          > 3. Go code it TFD

          It's called Extreme Programming, not Memory Extension.

          Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.

          ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        • Dinwiddie, George
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
            Step 0, install a whiteboard near the computers.

          • Charlie Poole
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
              Phil

              > Another thought on CRC. I guess in terms of what place they have,
              > I can say a brief word. Because I recon they occupy the same place
              > as UML. <snip/>

              Have you done role-playing with with CRC cards? Used that way, they
              bring the out the object interactions very quickly and make it
              obvious where you need to make changes. The process feels quite
              different from a group drawing diagrams at the whiteboard and it
              benefits from the fact that users can get involved.

              Charlie Poole
              cpoole@...
              www.pooleconsulting.com
              www.charliepoole.org
            • Phil Lewis
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2002
                We haven't tried it this way. A lot of my team had really bad views of
                role-playing. It was greatly disparaged, and as UML was delivering the
                goods, there seemed little point forcing people to do something they
                disliked.

                With a different team, I would probably try it.