Re: [XP] what's the deal with CRC Cards?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 4:37:22 AM, Stell Smith, Jeremy (Thoughtworks) wrote:

      > Are people still using them?

      Yes.>

      > What place do they have on an XP project?

      They're a wonderful way to explain things. Easy, dynamic, accessible,
      tangible.

      The CRC Card Book never seemed to me to get at their essence. I think
      maybe you just have to do it for a while ...

      Come watch me do something with cards sometime. Or, if you can make
      this heppen, better yet, Ward Cunningham.

      If not now, when? -- The Talmud
    • jbrewer999
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Stell Smith, Jeremy (Thoughtworks)"
        <Jeremy_StellSmith@e...> wrote:
        > Are people still using [CRC Cards]?
        >
        > What place do they have on an XP project?

        I don't use CRC cards much anymore. But I do spend a lot of time
        thinking about which classes have which responsibilities. The cards
        are just a tool.

        > I'm reading "The CRC Card Book" which seems a bit dated. I think
        some of
        > the uses/benefits they talk about are replaced or at least
        addressed in XP.

        "The CRC Card Book" isn't very good. Try reading Rebecca Wirfs-
        Brock's book "Designing Object-Oriented Software" instead. (I also
        think Martin Fowler has a discussion of CRC cards in "UML Distilled".)

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html