what's the deal with CRC Cards?

  • Stell Smith, Jeremy (Thoughtworks)
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Are people still using them?

      What place do they have on an XP project?

      I'm reading "The CRC Card Book" which seems a bit dated. I think some of
      the uses/benefits they talk about are replaced or at least addressed in XP.
      Definitely we're not trying to come up with the entire system architecture
      in the "analysis phase" of a project any more. In fact we drive it out,
      largely with tests that are a great way of understanding the system. We
      have pairing and standup meetings to encourage team interaction. In
      addition, I don't think many of the people on this list are struggling with
      object-oriented concepts any more.

      That said, I REALLY like the idea of an entire team getting together and
      brainstorming, roleplaying and actively being participants in the structure
      of a system. Furthermore, I'm wondering if they may also be a good tool for
      new programmers to start internalizing the theory of an existing system, and
      if so, how would such a CRC card session play itself out?

      As an aside, how do people actually come up with "architecture" these days?
      I usually have a mental model which I change and refactor at whiteboards
      with team members. This is the model I implement parts of as stories
      require. Often the story will require me trashing my old mental model and
      coming up with a new one. But that's fine. Maybe forming and sharing this
      model is a good use of CRC cards?
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        Around Thursday, August 1, 2002, 4:37:22 AM, Stell Smith, Jeremy (Thoughtworks) wrote:

        > Are people still using them?

        Yes.>

        > What place do they have on an XP project?

        They're a wonderful way to explain things. Easy, dynamic, accessible,
        tangible.

        The CRC Card Book never seemed to me to get at their essence. I think
        maybe you just have to do it for a while ...

        Come watch me do something with cards sometime. Or, if you can make
        this heppen, better yet, Ward Cunningham.

        If not now, when? -- The Talmud
      • jbrewer999
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
          --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Stell Smith, Jeremy (Thoughtworks)"
          <Jeremy_StellSmith@e...> wrote:
          > Are people still using [CRC Cards]?
          >
          > What place do they have on an XP project?

          I don't use CRC cards much anymore. But I do spend a lot of time
          thinking about which classes have which responsibilities. The cards
          are just a tool.

          > I'm reading "The CRC Card Book" which seems a bit dated. I think
          some of
          > the uses/benefits they talk about are replaced or at least
          addressed in XP.

          "The CRC Card Book" isn't very good. Try reading Rebecca Wirfs-
          Brock's book "Designing Object-Oriented Software" instead. (I also
          think Martin Fowler has a discussion of CRC cards in "UML Distilled".)

          John Brewer
          Jera Design

          Extreme Programming FAQ: http://www.jera.com/techinfo/xpfaq.html