Re: [XP] Digest Number 2515

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2002
      In a message dated 7/30/2002 12:35:59 AM Mountain Daylight Time, Bryan Bryan
      Dollery writes:

      > <<As I mentioned in another reply - the concept of polymorphism is indeed
      > tied to a base-class, it's only a few pathologically contorted, and mostly
      > unknown, languages that confuse us by allowing it to be otherwise.>>

      ... Touche' ! :-)

      Although, Smalltalk got there first, so those guys got to define the rules.
      The people who wrote the math for polymorphism did it later and had trouble
      with what Smalltalk had already given them.

      (i still refer to it as Rampant polymorphism to indicate the uncontrolled
      nature of it)
      ====================================
      Alistair Cockburn
      Humans and Technology
      Cockburn and Associates

      Author of
      "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects" (1998)
      "Writing Effective Use Cases" (Jolt Productivity Award 2001)
      "Agile Software Development" (Jolt Productivity Award 2002)

      Contact Information:
      http://alistair.cockburn.us
      alistair.cockburn@...
      1814 E. Fort Douglas Circle