Re: [XP] Personas as an internal feedback tool for XP Customers

  • Edmund Schweppe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      James Goebel wrote:

      > It occurred to me this weekend that several folks on this list have probably
      > never seen a persona. As I mentally explored that point, I further
      > understood the assumption that personas are somehow a replacement for a
      > knowledgeable customer.
      >
      > So I have decided to share an example that we use in our classes.

      [ example snipped ]

      Thanks, James! I had been sort of wondering what a "persona" actually
      looked like in this context.

      I'm curious, though. Do teams that use personas typically post them in
      the team area, as a sort of BVC? The sample seemed too detailed to be
      readable from across the room.

      --
      Edmund Schweppe -- mailto:schweppe@...
      those of any past, present or future employer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 08:13 PM, Edmund Schweppe wrote:

        > James Goebel wrote:
        >>
        >> It occurred to me this weekend that several folks on this list have
        >> probably
        >> never seen a persona. As I mentally explored that point, I further
        >> understood the assumption that personas are somehow a replacement for a
        >> knowledgeable customer.
        >>
        >> So I have decided to share an example that we use in our classes.
        >
        > [ example snipped ]
        >
        > Thanks, James! I had been sort of wondering what a "persona" actually
        > looked like in this context.

        James,

        This example, along with your mirror-persona post, was really helpful
        for me too. (I'd seen personas in Inmates, but a long time ago, and of
        course not related to XP.)

        Thanks again,
        Ben Schroeder
        schroeder@...
      • James Goebel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
          Edmund Schweppe wrote:

          > Thanks, James! I had been sort of wondering what a "persona" actually
          > looked like in this context.

          You are welcome.

          > I'm curious, though. Do teams that use personas typically post them in
          > the team area, as a sort of BVC?

          BVC?

          > The sample seemed too detailed to be
          > readable from across the room.

          You are correct, of course. This amount of text on an 11 x 17 sheet makes
          for about a 16 point font. So the team does not read the description from
          across the room.

          However, when a feature or a screen is being discussed team members will
          often refer to one of the personas by name and point at the picture. It is
          unlikely that the customer will need to reread the description often, as the
          act of maintaining it tends to keep it very fresh in their minds.

          I think that simply keeping the posters out in the open helps to keep the
          focus on the target users, and reduces the number of "I like..."
          discussions.

          James Goebel
          www.menloinnovations.com
        • ericheikkila
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
            Yes, having those "persona's" up on the wall where you and your
            partner could walk over and read about them was cool...and useful. ;)

            -Eric