Re: [XP] Re: Open Source programmers

  • C. Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 81 , Jul 1, 2002
      on 2002.07.01 1:47 PM, Tim Moore at tmoore@... wrote:

      > Well...the term "open source" wasn't around yet, but I knew all about
      > free software when I started programming...partly because I was a poor
      > student at the time and I happened to go to a technology-oriented high
      > school where kids got their kicks by trying to install Linux. ;-) This
      > was just shy of ten years ago (to date myself) when the best
      > distribution was Slackware and it came on a pile of floppies.

      I got started at least 4 or 5 years before Linux was created... Even before
      Minux was published. My first home computer used a cassette tape recorder
      for storage.

      ----

      C. Keith Ray
    • yet another bill smith
      Message 81 of 81 , Jul 9, 2002
        Buddha Buck wrote:

        > >How about the Slim Pickens character, the Texan(?) pilot and his memorable
        > >rodeo ride to oblivion?
        > >
        > >You'd have to be a little crazy to jump up and down on a nuclear bomb even
        > >if it wasnt ready to drop from an open bomb bay!
        >
        > If I remember correctly, he and his crew knew by that point that they
        > weren't going to make it out alive -- and probably had nothing to return
        > to. They had a mission to drop that bomb, and it wasn't leaving the bomb
        > bay like it was supposed to.

        Slim reminded me of a poster from the early '70s with a large eagle
        swooping down to pick up a mouse. The mouse is making a well-known
        SMEX-bait gesture; the caption says something like "The Last Great Act
        of Defiance." In other words, even if it's inevitable, DON'T lay back
        and enjoy it. As Mr. Thomas put it, "Do not go gentle into that good
        night...."