Re: [XP] Cowboy Coders

  • Samuel ]slund
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hi

      I have been lurking on this list some months now, comment below.

      On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:14:25AM -0400, Dossy wrote:
      > On 2002.06.30, Kay A. Pentecost <tranzpupy@...> wrote:
      > > Oh, Cool.
      > >
      > > I might try this....uh... no, I will try that.
      > >
      > > Sounds like overhead projector sheets and markers would work well, too.
      >
      > Right. Anything that's not opaque that can be layered.
      >
      > Overhead projector sheets are far more costly than tracing paper
      > and markers cannot be easily erased like pencil on tracing paper.
      > That increases the Cost of Change curve which makes mistakes more
      > costly ...

      For some of my school projects I picked up clear plastic maps that
      could be writen on with a pencil. I could erase from them and they
      had the added benefit of keeping the original paper in the same
      place. They were even more expencive than overhead sheets but could
      be reused repeatedly.

      //Samuel
    • Dossy
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 1, 2002
        On 2002.07.01, geoff_sobering <geoff_sobering@...> wrote:
        > Just FYI, the use of tracing paper as an overlay is pretty common in
        > the graphic arts business. Very often it's used to show the layout
        > of graphical elements (text, etc.) on a photograph; often the overlay
        > will contain a combination of graphical-elements, comments about
        > their placement, and/or descriptons of other manipulations to the
        > base image. As people here have pointed out, in the hands of a good
        > practioner it's a very rapid method to create a representation of a
        > complex graphical object.

        One of my projects current Customer is just that: a person from a
        graphic arts background. He's actually one of the most talented
        pixel jockeys I've ever had the pleasure of working with -- truly
        talented artist.

        He actually had custom paper pads printed with nothing but a blank
        browser window in black and white (MS IE, to be specific). He then
        takes those and hand-draws webpages into it for storyboards. Then
        lays tracing paper over and annotates the webpages. A picture
        truly is worth a thousand words of documentation and his stuff
        definitely communicates well and it's a technique I'd urge any
        team whose project includes building a UI (web or otherwise!) to
        use this technique as a way of rapidly prototyping the UI.

        > Sadly, my drawing skills aren't up to the task, and I'm forced to use
        > heavier-weight tools when I have to do graphical designs...

        You can't draw squares and write text inside them? ;-)

        You know, older programmers all come equipped with a flowchart template:
        a little plastic doohickey with various standard shapes cut out which
        can be used to uniformly draw squares, triangles, ovals, rectangles,
        arrow heads ... if you consider that "heavier-weight" then fine, but
        even for my clumsy non-artistic hands they work great for drawing
        UI's.

        Maybe I'm just too old-skool ...

        > BTW, compared with the seemingly ubiquitous requirement for an LCD
        > projector at meetings, an overhead projector seems a pretty simple
        > way to share an overlayed document...

        Indeed. On one hand, you have a $3,000 laptop and a 1800 ANSI lumen
        projector for $9,000 ... vs a light bulb, a white wall and a bunch
        of overhead transparencies for a couple bucks or a ream of tracing
        paper and a few pencils for a couple bucks ...

        No wonder why company burn rates for capital is ridiculous these
        days ...

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...