Re: Eighty-twenty (was Re: [XP] Some questions about installing XP)

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1 6:57 AM
      Ron:

      > > Applied to user stories, this yields : "whenever there is large
      > > variation in story value, we can find an ordering of stories such
      > > that we can deliver 80% of the project in 20% of the time".
      >
      > Too technoid. It's a metaphor. [...]
      >
      > > Question : what, if anything, does Kent's "twenty-eighty" rule have
      > > to do with the one above ?
      >
      > Absolutely nothing. Or absolutely everything. Or maybe ... 80%

      Too postmodern. Vagueness Objection.

      I like metaphor as much as the next guy (or girl). But at the risk of
      committing the Sin of Critique, and at the risk of being your typical
      stodgy, plodding, cartesian French thinker, I'd like to suggest that
      we use such phrases as "the eighty-twenty rule" or "the twenty-
      eighty rule" only advisedly.

      Since I do not, in fact, know what the smex this rule or rules mean,
      and find myself in a position where I have to know because I'm
      rewriting Kent's exposé of the rule(s) as applied to XP in a different
      language, I am asking with the intention of furthering my education.

      In particular, I woud want not to be left speechless when faced with
      people who invoke "the 80/20 rule" to justify things that strike me as
      absurd, such as that "we are doing too much testing".

      Much as I hate to say so, your article and comments, while
      entertaining and worthwhile with respect to "why ship early", have
      not quenched my thirst for knowledge. I've learned a bit about the
      80/20 rule, not enough about the 20/80 rule.

      Could you (or in fact anyone) say a little more ?

      Cheers,
      Laurent
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 7 10:31 AM
        Around Sunday, July 7, 2002, 1:10:12 PM, dhemeryy wrote:

        >> If it sells the product, it's probably not a 1. The points we're
        >> counting are value points after all.

        > I thought they were difficulty points. Not so?

        Not in this case. The article was "delivering value". Sorry for the
        confusion ...

        The greatest mistake we make is living in constant fear that we will make one.
        -- John Maxwell