Re: [XP] Growing Customers

  • Dossy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 3:01 AM
      On 2002.06.30, Benjamin Schroeder <schroeder@...> wrote:
      > I suppose one easy thing to do would be to just say, hey, programmer X,
      > or manager Y, what do you think about inviting so-and-so to our planning
      > meeting for project Z? and try to grow more direct involvement from
      > there. But I wanted to see what the group thought, and what ideas
      > people had.
      >
      > I should take pains to say, I don't think things are horrible or
      > anything; quite the opposite. I'm just looking for ways to improve
      > something I've felt could be better.

      At the end of the project (or iteration, even) does your team reflect
      upon the recent past?

      Being subversive, I'd say in the reflection meeting, "Gee, you know
      pain-point X this past (project, iteration)? I think we really
      could have avoided or at least eased it by inviting person Y from
      this other-department Z to speak with us ..."

      Of course, only say this if you really feel it's true. After a
      while, when you suggest inviting someone from another department
      in during the project, people may recall you repeatedly mentioning
      bringing in someone from another department and perceive this
      particular invitation you're suggesting now as a kind of foresight
      to avoiding whatever potential pain your group is about to face ...

      -- Dossy

      --
      Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
    • Dossy
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 3:04 AM
        On 2002.07.01, Bryan Dollery <Bryan.Dollery@...> wrote:
        > 5. Do not, under any circumstances, invite any dripping
        > wet waifs in, out of the rain, during your grand
        > unveiling ceremony.
        >
        > <sing: I'm just a sweet Ron Jeffries, from trans...>

        No, no ... It's: I'm just a little Amish farmer, from Nantucket ...
        Pennsylvania ... ah-ha!

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
      • Benjamin Schroeder
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1 5:15 AM
          On Sunday, June 30, 2002, at 11:22 PM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

          > Hi Ben,
          >
          > My advice on growing customers is this:
          >
          > 1. Try to use a peat based compost - it's worth
          > the extra cost in the long run.
          > (...)

          Thanks for your post. That's sort of what I was thinking -- but I
          wanted to make sure. ;)

          Laughing my smex off,
          Ben Schroeder
          schroeder@...
        • Benjamin Schroeder
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1 5:19 AM
            On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 06:01 AM, Dossy wrote:

            > At the end of the project (or iteration, even) does your team reflect
            > upon the recent past?
            >
            > Being subversive, I'd say in the reflection meeting, "Gee, you know
            > pain-point X this past (project, iteration)? I think we really
            > could have avoided or at least eased it by inviting person Y from
            > this other-department Z to speak with us ..."
            >
            > Of course, only say this if you really feel it's true. After a
            > while, when you suggest inviting someone from another department
            > in during the project, people may recall you repeatedly mentioning
            > bringing in someone from another department and perceive this
            > particular invitation you're suggesting now as a kind of foresight
            > to avoiding whatever potential pain your group is about to face ...

            Nice idea. We don't have a reflection meeting as such, but I could see
            talking about this kind of thing just before planning. In any case, I
            think the team would be happy to get people more deeply involved, so
            they should be open to such suggestions.

            Thanks,
            Ben Schroeder
            schroeder@...
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1 6:51 AM
              Around Monday, July 1, 2002, 8:15:13 AM, Benjamin Schroeder wrote:

              > On Sunday, June 30, 2002, at 11:22 PM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

              >> Hi Ben,
              >>
              >> My advice on growing customers is this:
              >>
              >> 1. Try to use a peat based compost - it's worth
              >> the extra cost in the long run.
              >> (...)

              > Thanks for your post. That's sort of what I was thinking -- but I
              > wanted to make sure. ;)

              Have I mentioned this:

              http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/flowersofevil.htm ?

              Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Picasso
            • schroeder@surfree.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1 8:52 AM
                On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:51:28 -0400 Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                > Have I mentioned this:
                >
                > http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/
                > flowersofevil.htm ?

                I had not seen that. Very nice.

                Thanks,
                Ben Schroeder
                schroeder@...
              • Dave Rooney
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2 8:04 AM
                  Bryan,

                  >> <sing: I'm just a sweet Ron Jeffries, from trans...>

                  ACK!! Now _that_ is a mental image I did not need!! :)

                  Dave Rooney
                  Mayford Technologies
                  http://www.mayford.ca