Re: [XP] Re: Open Source programmers

  • Jonas Bengtsson
    Message 1 of 81 , Jul 1 2:11 AM
      Hi,
      Doesn't anyone else have anything to share about their migration
      from a Open Source(-like) community to a professional setting as a
      programmer?

      (I know that the request is fairly vague. But I'm pretty much
      interested in any experiences, good or bad, related to the difference
      in working approach of the two environments)
      --
      Best regards,
      Jonas

      Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set him on fire and
      he's warm for the rest of his life.
      - Terry Pratchett

      On Friday, June 28, 2002, 2:40:58 PM, I wrote:

      > On Friday, June 28, 2002, 5:36:36 AM, kevinbsmith wrote:

      > Hi Kevin,
      > Thanks for your reply!

      >> Well, I suspect MANY of us started out as hobby programmers,
      >> writing code purely for our own purposes or enjoyment, and
      >> then turned it into a career.

      > Yes, I suspect so too. But now I'm mostly interested in those who were
      > involved in an open source community/project. Those seem to be harder
      > to find. Most people have only programmed little applications for
      > themselves and on their own.

      > Were you involved in an open source community/project before you
      > started working as a programmer?

      >> For me, there were several difficult adjustments. Having to
      >> release on someone else's schedule. Having to be in the
      >> office during (more or less) specific hours. Having to add
      >> features that someone else wanted, not the ones that I
      >> thought would be coolest.

      > Ok, thanks!

      >> On the other hand, getting paid was a plus :-) So I adjusted.

      > :-)
      > Do you have any idea of how long it took to adjust?

      >> I have found that I have about 30 hours per week of coding
      >> inside me, waiting to get out. If I'm coding 30+ hours at
      >> work, then I have little or nothing left for moonlighting.
      >> When I'm in a management role at work, and not coding, I
      >> get the itch to start coding at home.

      > :-)

      >> I'm not sure if that helps you at all. Do you have more
      >> specific questions?

      > It's quite helpful! I know that my question was quite unspecific. But
      > at this stage I'm basically trying to come up with the questions :-)
      > This post gave me some potentially interesting questions. I hope to
      > get
      > more as this thread advances. So I would appreciate if others want to
      > describe their experiences migrating from a open source community to a
      > professional setting.

      > I let you know if I come up with more specific questions than those
      > asked above!
    • yet another bill smith
      Message 81 of 81 , Jul 9 10:05 AM
        Buddha Buck wrote:

        > >How about the Slim Pickens character, the Texan(?) pilot and his memorable
        > >rodeo ride to oblivion?
        > >
        > >You'd have to be a little crazy to jump up and down on a nuclear bomb even
        > >if it wasnt ready to drop from an open bomb bay!
        >
        > If I remember correctly, he and his crew knew by that point that they
        > weren't going to make it out alive -- and probably had nothing to return
        > to. They had a mission to drop that bomb, and it wasn't leaving the bomb
        > bay like it was supposed to.

        Slim reminded me of a poster from the early '70s with a large eagle
        swooping down to pick up a mouse. The mouse is making a well-known
        SMEX-bait gesture; the caption says something like "The Last Great Act
        of Defiance." In other words, even if it's inevitable, DON'T lay back
        and enjoy it. As Mr. Thomas put it, "Do not go gentle into that good
        night...."