RE: [XP] Cowboy Coders

  • Thomas Eyde
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 30, 2002
      Hi, Kay,

      Of course they are. Cowboys are the only ones who says what the manager
      wants to hear: "There are no problems...", "No delays, will ship on
      time...", "Of course we can do that, too...", "No, it won't cost more
      money...".

      I remember I read an article on Cowboys on devx.com. Don't remember the
      title, though.

      Thomas Eyde
      mailto:teyde@...
    • Dossy
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 1, 2002
        On 2002.07.01, geoff_sobering <geoff_sobering@...> wrote:
        > Just FYI, the use of tracing paper as an overlay is pretty common in
        > the graphic arts business. Very often it's used to show the layout
        > of graphical elements (text, etc.) on a photograph; often the overlay
        > will contain a combination of graphical-elements, comments about
        > their placement, and/or descriptons of other manipulations to the
        > base image. As people here have pointed out, in the hands of a good
        > practioner it's a very rapid method to create a representation of a
        > complex graphical object.

        One of my projects current Customer is just that: a person from a
        graphic arts background. He's actually one of the most talented
        pixel jockeys I've ever had the pleasure of working with -- truly
        talented artist.

        He actually had custom paper pads printed with nothing but a blank
        browser window in black and white (MS IE, to be specific). He then
        takes those and hand-draws webpages into it for storyboards. Then
        lays tracing paper over and annotates the webpages. A picture
        truly is worth a thousand words of documentation and his stuff
        definitely communicates well and it's a technique I'd urge any
        team whose project includes building a UI (web or otherwise!) to
        use this technique as a way of rapidly prototyping the UI.

        > Sadly, my drawing skills aren't up to the task, and I'm forced to use
        > heavier-weight tools when I have to do graphical designs...

        You can't draw squares and write text inside them? ;-)

        You know, older programmers all come equipped with a flowchart template:
        a little plastic doohickey with various standard shapes cut out which
        can be used to uniformly draw squares, triangles, ovals, rectangles,
        arrow heads ... if you consider that "heavier-weight" then fine, but
        even for my clumsy non-artistic hands they work great for drawing
        UI's.

        Maybe I'm just too old-skool ...

        > BTW, compared with the seemingly ubiquitous requirement for an LCD
        > projector at meetings, an overhead projector seems a pretty simple
        > way to share an overlayed document...

        Indeed. On one hand, you have a $3,000 laptop and a 1800 ANSI lumen
        projector for $9,000 ... vs a light bulb, a white wall and a bunch
        of overhead transparencies for a couple bucks or a ream of tracing
        paper and a few pencils for a couple bucks ...

        No wonder why company burn rates for capital is ridiculous these
        days ...

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...