Re: How to hire a women (was Re: [XP] Re: Managementsresponsibil ites?)

  • yet another bill smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2002
      Russell Gold wrote:

      > Y'know, it's really hard to concentrate on this thread with the Lerner and
      > Loewe score running through my head...
      >
      > "How to hire a woman, there's a way said the wise old man..."
      >
      > At 05:55 AM 6/27/2002 -0700, Booch, Grady wrote:
      > >[egb> ] Laurent, not true at all. Various studies by industries groups and
      > >the IEEE put the figure closer to 20% for developer roles (and that would
      > >cover code warriors, analysts, testers, etc. I'd have to google to find a
      > >more precise number, but fact is, there are significantly more programmers
      > >with an extra chromosome.
      >
      > programmers with Down's syndrome?

      ROTFLMAssO
    • yet another bill smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2002
        Russell Gold wrote:

        > At 09:13 AM 6/27/2002 -0700, Booch, Grady wrote:
        > > > programmers with Down's syndrome?
        > >
        > > [egb> ] men have one more chromosome than women
        >
        > No, actually they don't. Men and women both have 46 chromosomes, But where
        > women have two X chromosomes, men have one X and one Y.

        And the Y is actually shorter than the X, I think it is a "proper
        subset" of the X. IIRC, this fact explains why men are much more likely
        than women to have certain diseases, such as color blindness and
        hemnophilia.
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2002
          > > >[egb> ] Laurent, not true at all. Various studies by industries groups
          > > > and the IEEE put the figure closer to 20% for developer roles (and that
          > > > would cover code warriors, analysts, testers, etc. I'd have to google
          > > > to find a more precise number, but fact is, there are significantly
          > > > more programmers with an extra chromosome.
          > >
          > > programmers with Down's syndrome?
          >
          > ROTFLMAssO

          Irony 2> Everybody seems to have replaced the gender-biased term "cowboy
          coder" with the sociologically incorrect term "cowhand coder." The term is
          sociologically inaccurate because real agrarian livestock handlers are
          "godfearing" - they use only careful, conservative, documented methods. I
          coined "cowhand coder" when at work my cowboy boss was having a meeting to
          give us a pep talk about auditing and accountability, and I pointed out that
          our documentor, who also helped maintain several large, brutal legacy
          projects, had not been invited to the meeting - we were nurturing a "cowhand
          coder." This person had not been invited due to a lack of that most
          important programming tool - a penis.

          --
          Phlip
          http://www.greencheese.org/EvolutionaryPsychology
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2002
            Hmmmm.... are there female CowboyCoders?

            Do they differ from male CowboyCoders other than in gender?

            Kay

            --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Phlip <pplumlee@o...> wrote:

            > > > programmers with Down's syndrome?
            > >
            > > ROTFLMAssO
            >
            > Irony 2> Everybody seems to have replaced the gender-biased
            term "cowboy
            > coder" with the sociologically incorrect term "cowhand coder." The
            term is
            > sociologically inaccurate because real agrarian livestock handlers
            are
            > "godfearing" - they use only careful, conservative, documented
            methods. I
            > coined "cowhand coder" when at work my cowboy boss was having a
            meeting to
            > give us a pep talk about auditing and accountability, and I pointed
            out that
            > our documentor, who also helped maintain several large, brutal
            legacy
            > projects, had not been invited to the meeting - we were nurturing
            a "cowhand
            > coder." This person had not been invited due to a lack of that most
            > important programming tool - a penis.
            >
            > --
            > Phlip
            > http://www.greencheese.org/EvolutionaryPsychology
            > -- Bad nanoprobe! Bad! --
          • dhemeryy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2002
              Hi Phlip,

              > I coined "cowhand coder" when at work my cowboy boss was having a
              > meeting to give us a pep talk about auditing and accountability, and I
              > pointed out that our documentor, who also helped maintain several
              > large, brutal legacy projects, had not been invited to the meeting - we
              > were nurturing a "cowhand coder." This person had not been invited due
              > to a lack of that most important programming tool - a penis.

              Couldn't she have brought someone else's penis?

              Dale
            • dhemeryy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2002
                Hi Kay,

                > Hmmmm.... are there female CowboyCoders?

                My friend Sue Petersen used to call herself The Coding Cowgirl (
                http://www.networkboy.com/suep/ ). I don't think it meant the same
                thing as Cowboy Coder.

                Dale
              • Dossy
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2002
                  On 2002.06.27, dhemeryy <dale@...> wrote:
                  > Hi Phlip,
                  >
                  > > I coined "cowhand coder" when at work my cowboy boss was having a
                  > > meeting to give us a pep talk about auditing and accountability, and I
                  > > pointed out that our documentor, who also helped maintain several
                  > > large, brutal legacy projects, had not been invited to the meeting - we
                  > > were nurturing a "cowhand coder." This person had not been invited due
                  > > to a lack of that most important programming tool - a penis.
                  >
                  > Couldn't she have brought someone else's penis?

                  Or worse, could she really have had a penis unknown to the team?

                  Would the team really want to find out?

                  -- Dossy

                  --
                  Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
                • jrb32002
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
                    --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "dhemeryy" <dale@d...> wrote:
                    > Hi Phlip,
                    >
                    > > I coined "cowhand coder" when at work my cowboy boss was having a
                    > > meeting to give us a pep talk about auditing and accountability,
                    and I
                    > > pointed out that our documentor, who also helped maintain several
                    > > large, brutal legacy projects, had not been invited to the
                    meeting - we
                    > > were nurturing a "cowhand coder." This person had not been
                    invited due
                    > > to a lack of that most important programming tool - a penis.
                    >
                    > Couldn't she have brought someone else's penis?

                    Well, time to cause another digest to get thrown into the SMEX
                    black hole. :-)

                    My college girlfriend never was one to mince words, nor to make
                    judicious and juicy use of any shock value she came across. Bit of
                    an exhibitionist too, at the time. She wound up working as a project
                    manager for a company which placed high regard on "cojones" and
                    machismo. And contrary to all expectations she thrived and more than
                    held her own.

                    The few women at that company noted this, and asked her why this
                    was. She replied that, since a certain metaphorical waving around of
                    certain body parts seemed required in most meetings, she needed one
                    of her own. Usually it remained stashed in her desk. Or in her
                    purse, for select high-value meetings. And a most impressive one I'm
                    sure it was -- the shop she got it at had the most amazing variety,
                    I'm told ....

                    Not sure whether she ever revealed it to any but selected female
                    co-conspirators. When she first told me this, I nearly fell off my
                    chair backwards, I was laughing so hard. Especially when she said
                    there was one meeting bad enough she thought she might have had to
                    use it as a gavel. :-X :-)