Cowboy Coders

  • tranzpupy
    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 27, 2002
      Hi, Everybody,

      I'm fascinated right now by the concept of Cowboy Coders and how much
      unwitting damage they can do to the team, or to individuals on the
      team.

      I'm defining Cowboy Coders as on the wiki definition:
      http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CowboyCoders and also the list of "the
      Cowboy Way" on http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?CowboyCoding .

      Does anyone have any examples of Cowboy Coders changing their ways to
      fit in as a team member? I'd be particularly interested if any of
      *you* were ever a Cowboy Coder, and what led you to believe that Pair
      Programming or being a real member of the team was better, for you
      and/or for the team and project you were on?

      I'm also interested if you were the team member or manager who helped
      a Cowboy Coder come out from his/her solitary coding style... how did
      you do it, and what was the effect on the team/project?

      How about it?

      Kay
    • Dossy
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 1, 2002
        On 2002.07.01, geoff_sobering <geoff_sobering@...> wrote:
        > Just FYI, the use of tracing paper as an overlay is pretty common in
        > the graphic arts business. Very often it's used to show the layout
        > of graphical elements (text, etc.) on a photograph; often the overlay
        > will contain a combination of graphical-elements, comments about
        > their placement, and/or descriptons of other manipulations to the
        > base image. As people here have pointed out, in the hands of a good
        > practioner it's a very rapid method to create a representation of a
        > complex graphical object.

        One of my projects current Customer is just that: a person from a
        graphic arts background. He's actually one of the most talented
        pixel jockeys I've ever had the pleasure of working with -- truly
        talented artist.

        He actually had custom paper pads printed with nothing but a blank
        browser window in black and white (MS IE, to be specific). He then
        takes those and hand-draws webpages into it for storyboards. Then
        lays tracing paper over and annotates the webpages. A picture
        truly is worth a thousand words of documentation and his stuff
        definitely communicates well and it's a technique I'd urge any
        team whose project includes building a UI (web or otherwise!) to
        use this technique as a way of rapidly prototyping the UI.

        > Sadly, my drawing skills aren't up to the task, and I'm forced to use
        > heavier-weight tools when I have to do graphical designs...

        You can't draw squares and write text inside them? ;-)

        You know, older programmers all come equipped with a flowchart template:
        a little plastic doohickey with various standard shapes cut out which
        can be used to uniformly draw squares, triangles, ovals, rectangles,
        arrow heads ... if you consider that "heavier-weight" then fine, but
        even for my clumsy non-artistic hands they work great for drawing
        UI's.

        Maybe I'm just too old-skool ...

        > BTW, compared with the seemingly ubiquitous requirement for an LCD
        > projector at meetings, an overhead projector seems a pretty simple
        > way to share an overlayed document...

        Indeed. On one hand, you have a $3,000 laptop and a 1800 ANSI lumen
        projector for $9,000 ... vs a light bulb, a white wall and a bunch
        of overhead transparencies for a couple bucks or a ream of tracing
        paper and a few pencils for a couple bucks ...

        No wonder why company burn rates for capital is ridiculous these
        days ...

        -- Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...