Re: [XP] Re: Source Code Control

  • Paul Michali
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
      ejfried@... wrote:

      > Use a cygwin build of CVS and of Ruby, and use "binary mounts."

      Do you mean take the source of Ruby and rebuild it under cygwin?
      It looks like cygwin has some form of console and GCC compiler.

      I'm using WinCVS, do I need to try to find its source and rebuild it?

      What do you mean by "binary mounts"?

      > Under
      > these conditions, all the files will use UNIX line termination on
      > Windows, and everything will just work transparently. Presumably you
      > don't really mean "DOS".

      Yes, I mean PC/Windows line terminations (Emacs, just says DOS on the
      status bar, so I blindly typed that in).

      PCM (Paul Michali)

      Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
      Cisco Systems, Inc.
      250 Apollo Drive
      Chelmsford, MA 01824

      Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
      Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
    • Bill de hÓra
      • ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
          I think Paul Michali wrote:

          > Do you mean take the source of Ruby and rebuild it under cygwin?
          > It looks like cygwin has some form of console and GCC compiler.

          Yes, "./configure; make" works flawlessly.

          > I'm using WinCVS, do I need to try to find its source and rebuild it?

          No, there's a version of CVS you can install as a part of cygwin; I
          meant to simply use that instead of WinCVS. I'm sure there's an option
          in WinCVS to use UNIX line endings, but if you're working in a mixed
          UNIX/Win32 environment, it's way easier to use one set of
          cross-platform tools, and cygwin lets you do that -- i.e., standardize
          on the UNIX command-line CVS client.

          > What do you mean by "binary mounts"?

          When you install cygwin, you have to option of using "text mounts" for
          your Win32 file systems (which means Cygwin will try to do CRLF <-> CR
          mapping for you) or "binary mounts" (cygwin will pass files through
          unchanged.) Using binary mounts leads to fewer suprises, although you
          could make this work either way.

          Ernest Friedman-Hill
          Distributed Systems Research Phone: (925) 294-2154
          Sandia National Labs FAX: (925) 294-2234
          Org. 8920, MS 9012 ejfried@...
          PO Box 969 http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
          Livermore, CA 94550
        • Edmund Schweppe
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
            Paul Michali wrote:
            > manaster@... wrote:
            > > Bill asks:
            > > >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
            > >
            > > It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
            > > not-quite-current version of WinCVS.
            >
            > Hmm. I only toyed with VB for a very short time, but I do recall
            > some odd things (we used ClearCase). It was something like having
            > to check out the project file (I think), just to be able to work
            > with the project

            In general, that's true. (At least through VB6; I haven't gotten down
            and dirty with VB.NET yet, but I know it's radically different under the
            covers.)

            > and I vaguely recall something about VB modifying
            > files all the time, such that they all had to be checked in, even
            > when making a minor change.

            I don't recall this being a problem with VB6. The old SDI format had the
            irritating side effect of changing the form's default window coordinates
            any time you moved the form editor window around, but VB6's default is
            to use an MDI format (selectable on VB6's Tools|Options dialog, Advanced
            tab) that doesn't have that issue.

            There's also the chance that you were having issues with changing GUIDs
            for custom ActiveX components. If you don't set the project's Version
            Compatibility to Binary, VB will change the GUIDs of your objects every
            time they get built on a different machine (even if the actual interface
            signatures haven't changed), forcing changes to any project referencing
            the object.

            --
            Edmund Schweppe -- mailto:schweppe@...
            those of any past, present or future employer
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
              manaster@... wrote:
              > Bill asks:
              > >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
              > It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
              > not-quite-current version of WinCVS.
              >
              > Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
              > binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways. You
              > don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
              > let you check in without "resolving" the conflict. It gives messages
              > in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but not
              > for me (and yes, I have RTFM). You refresh the display to see if
              > anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit your
              > changes it says that there are conflicts. The conflict marks that it
              > inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
              > must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.
              > That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

              I've never tried using WinCVS, so I can't speak to that part of the
              issue, but I'd guess that many of those problems revolve around
              end-of-line issues (especially if the CVS repository lives on a Unix
              box). I have used both PVCS and VSS with VB without any major hassles;
              in fact, the VSS plugin for VB6 works pretty much like a charm. In
              particular, I've gotten strongly into the habit of using VSS's visual
              diff feature to verify that the changes I made were in fact only the
              ones I thought I'd made.

              So I'm guessing that your SCC problems are generally those of
              mis-matched tools, rather than a philosophical issue. And I will confess
              that I don't always use source-code-control on tiny little one-off
              projects myself...

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                > > My problem is line termination when running Ruby on text
                > > files. I discovered this when I put the files under CVS
                > > control. The files were sitting on a Unix box and, from my PC
                > > at home, I imported them into CVS using WinCVS. CVS changed
                > > the line termination to DOS and when I ran my Unit tests,
                > > they failed. I found that, if I changed the text files back
                > > to Unix format, it worked fine.
                >
                > Ah. There's a checkbox on admin/preferences/globals at the bottom
                > in WinCVS, which will check out per UNIX eol. I don't think there's
                > a direct option with CVS command line.

                Cool! Thanks. I didn't see that when I was doing a checkout. It is
                on the 4th tab (Globals). I'll give it a try.

                PCM (Paul Michali)

                Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
                Cisco Systems, Inc.
                250 Apollo Drive
                Chelmsford, MA 01824

                Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
                Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm @ epage.cisco.com [email page]
              • Bill de hÓra
                • Peter Hansen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                    Edmund Schweppe wrote:

                    > I've never tried using WinCVS, so I can't speak to that part of the
                    > issue, but I'd guess that many of those problems revolve around
                    > end-of-line issues (especially if the CVS repository lives on a Unix
                    > box).

                    I'm pretty sure that CVS repositories are identical regardless
                    of which machine they're on. We successfully moved the raw
                    repository (,v) files directly from a Windows machine where
                    we started to a Linux machine and there have been no related
                    issues.

                    (In fact, our only issue with CVS has been checking out shell
                    scripts on Windows and copying directly to Linux machines. The
                    CRLF at the end of the hash-bang line causes a little trouble...)

                    -Peter