Re: [XP] gene pools [OT]

  • Anders Bengtsson
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 3, 2002
      dhemeryy wrote:

      > > I'm not try to counter argue against Darwin. Still stand by my original
      > > point. I don't think Darwin ever used the expression, it's more of a
      > > layman's interpretation - but is misleading in that 'fittness" has multiple
      > > meanings.
      >
      > He used it in "Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals": ftp://sailor.gutenberg.org/pub/gutenberg/etext98/eemaa10.txt
      >
      > The word "fittest" appears exactly once in the text, so it's easy to search for the quote.
      >
      > Dale

      "Survival of the fittest" was coined by Herbert Spencer, before the
      publication of Origin of Species. Darwin started to use it later.

      (In my view he probably shouldn't have, since it lended credibility to
      Spencer, while misrepresenting his own theories).

      /Anders
      --

      A n d e r s B e n g t s s o n | ndrsbngtssn@...
      Stockholm, Sweden |