Re: [XP] Re: Source Code Control

  • Paul Michali
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2 6:10 AM
      Bill de hÓra wrote:

> [...]

      How can I use cygwin to resolve this? I have it installed,
      but haven't used it directly.

      My problem is line termination when running Ruby on text
      files. I discovered this when I put the files under CVS
      control. The files were sitting on a Unix box and, from
      my PC at home, I imported them into CVS using WinCVS.
      CVS changed the line termination to DOS and when I ran
      my Unit tests, they failed. I found that, if I changed
      the text files back to Unix format, it worked fine.

      Apparently, the pattern matches were failing (e.g. I
      had tests like, "if line =~ /^-{48}$/" that failed).

      So does anyone know how I can run Ruby from either
      DOS or Unix and have this work? Is there a way to tell
      CVS to check out the file and modify the line termination
      for the platform or a way to tell Ruby to use different
      line termination for the files it accesses (e.g. run it
      from PC and have it use Unix line termination, when it
      accesses files)?

      PCM (Paul Michali) @ HOME

      Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
      Cisco Systems, Inc.
      250 Apollo Drive
      Chelmsford, MA 01824

      Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
      Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
    • ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2 6:43 AM
        Use a cygwin build of CVS and of Ruby, and use "binary mounts." Under
        these conditions, all the files will use UNIX line termination on
        Windows, and everything will just work transparently. Presumably you
        don't really mean "DOS".

        I think Paul Michali wrote:
        > > > From: Paul Michali [mailto:pcm@...]
        > > >
        > > > Anyone know how to
        > > > deal with files when running Ruby from Unix and DOS?)

        Ernest Friedman-Hill
        Distributed Systems Research Phone: (925) 294-2154
        Sandia National Labs FAX: (925) 294-2234
        Org. 8920, MS 9012 ejfried@...
        PO Box 969 http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
        Livermore, CA 94550
      • Paul Michali
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3 4:01 AM
          ejfried@... wrote:

          > Use a cygwin build of CVS and of Ruby, and use "binary mounts."

          Do you mean take the source of Ruby and rebuild it under cygwin?
          It looks like cygwin has some form of console and GCC compiler.

          I'm using WinCVS, do I need to try to find its source and rebuild it?

          What do you mean by "binary mounts"?

          > Under
          > these conditions, all the files will use UNIX line termination on
          > Windows, and everything will just work transparently. Presumably you
          > don't really mean "DOS".

          Yes, I mean PC/Windows line terminations (Emacs, just says DOS on the
          status bar, so I blindly typed that in).

          PCM (Paul Michali)

          Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
          Cisco Systems, Inc.
          250 Apollo Drive
          Chelmsford, MA 01824

          Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
          Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
        • Bill de hÓra
          • ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3 7:21 AM
              I think Paul Michali wrote:

              > Do you mean take the source of Ruby and rebuild it under cygwin?
              > It looks like cygwin has some form of console and GCC compiler.

              Yes, "./configure; make" works flawlessly.

              > I'm using WinCVS, do I need to try to find its source and rebuild it?

              No, there's a version of CVS you can install as a part of cygwin; I
              meant to simply use that instead of WinCVS. I'm sure there's an option
              in WinCVS to use UNIX line endings, but if you're working in a mixed
              UNIX/Win32 environment, it's way easier to use one set of
              cross-platform tools, and cygwin lets you do that -- i.e., standardize
              on the UNIX command-line CVS client.

              > What do you mean by "binary mounts"?

              When you install cygwin, you have to option of using "text mounts" for
              your Win32 file systems (which means Cygwin will try to do CRLF <-> CR
              mapping for you) or "binary mounts" (cygwin will pass files through
              unchanged.) Using binary mounts leads to fewer suprises, although you
              could make this work either way.

              Ernest Friedman-Hill
              Distributed Systems Research Phone: (925) 294-2154
              Sandia National Labs FAX: (925) 294-2234
              Org. 8920, MS 9012 ejfried@...
              PO Box 969 http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
              Livermore, CA 94550
            • Edmund Schweppe
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3 7:28 AM
                Paul Michali wrote:
                > manaster@... wrote:
                > > Bill asks:
                > > >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
                > >
                > > It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
                > > not-quite-current version of WinCVS.
                >
                > Hmm. I only toyed with VB for a very short time, but I do recall
                > some odd things (we used ClearCase). It was something like having
                > to check out the project file (I think), just to be able to work
                > with the project

                In general, that's true. (At least through VB6; I haven't gotten down
                and dirty with VB.NET yet, but I know it's radically different under the
                covers.)

                > and I vaguely recall something about VB modifying
                > files all the time, such that they all had to be checked in, even
                > when making a minor change.

                I don't recall this being a problem with VB6. The old SDI format had the
                irritating side effect of changing the form's default window coordinates
                any time you moved the form editor window around, but VB6's default is
                to use an MDI format (selectable on VB6's Tools|Options dialog, Advanced
                tab) that doesn't have that issue.

                There's also the chance that you were having issues with changing GUIDs
                for custom ActiveX components. If you don't set the project's Version
                Compatibility to Binary, VB will change the GUIDs of your objects every
                time they get built on a different machine (even if the actual interface
                signatures haven't changed), forcing changes to any project referencing
                the object.

                --
                Edmund Schweppe -- mailto:schweppe@...
                those of any past, present or future employer
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3 7:49 AM
                  manaster@... wrote:
                  > Bill asks:
                  > >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
                  > It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
                  > not-quite-current version of WinCVS.
                  >
                  > Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
                  > binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways. You
                  > don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
                  > let you check in without "resolving" the conflict. It gives messages
                  > in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but not
                  > for me (and yes, I have RTFM). You refresh the display to see if
                  > anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit your
                  > changes it says that there are conflicts. The conflict marks that it
                  > inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
                  > must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.
                  > That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

                  I've never tried using WinCVS, so I can't speak to that part of the
                  issue, but I'd guess that many of those problems revolve around
                  end-of-line issues (especially if the CVS repository lives on a Unix
                  box). I have used both PVCS and VSS with VB without any major hassles;
                  in fact, the VSS plugin for VB6 works pretty much like a charm. In
                  particular, I've gotten strongly into the habit of using VSS's visual
                  diff feature to verify that the changes I made were in fact only the
                  ones I thought I'd made.

                  So I'm guessing that your SCC problems are generally those of
                  mis-matched tools, rather than a philosophical issue. And I will confess
                  that I don't always use source-code-control on tiny little one-off
                  projects myself...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3 8:42 AM
                    > > My problem is line termination when running Ruby on text
                    > > files. I discovered this when I put the files under CVS
                    > > control. The files were sitting on a Unix box and, from my PC
                    > > at home, I imported them into CVS using WinCVS. CVS changed
                    > > the line termination to DOS and when I ran my Unit tests,
                    > > they failed. I found that, if I changed the text files back
                    > > to Unix format, it worked fine.
                    >
                    > Ah. There's a checkbox on admin/preferences/globals at the bottom
                    > in WinCVS, which will check out per UNIX eol. I don't think there's
                    > a direct option with CVS command line.

                    Cool! Thanks. I didn't see that when I was doing a checkout. It is
                    on the 4th tab (Globals). I'll give it a try.

                    PCM (Paul Michali)

                    Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
                    Cisco Systems, Inc.
                    250 Apollo Drive
                    Chelmsford, MA 01824

                    Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
                    Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm @ epage.cisco.com [email page]
                  • Bill de hÓra
                    • Peter Hansen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 3 5:31 PM
                        Edmund Schweppe wrote:

                        > I've never tried using WinCVS, so I can't speak to that part of the
                        > issue, but I'd guess that many of those problems revolve around
                        > end-of-line issues (especially if the CVS repository lives on a Unix
                        > box).

                        I'm pretty sure that CVS repositories are identical regardless
                        of which machine they're on. We successfully moved the raw
                        repository (,v) files directly from a Windows machine where
                        we started to a Linux machine and there have been no related
                        issues.

                        (In fact, our only issue with CVS has been checking out shell
                        scripts on Windows and copying directly to Linux machines. The
                        CRLF at the end of the hash-bang line causes a little trouble...)

                        -Peter