[XP] Re: Honest inquiry

  • kentlbeck
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Dan Palanza <dan@c...> wrote:
      > Hi Kent, I'm interested in contract management, on a small scale,
      and so
      > I'm curious about applications done on a large scale: how much of
      this 250K
      > lines of code is involved with double entry bookkeeping? For
      example, in
      > your own experience with contract management, is double entry
      bookkeeping
      > ever used as a resource to control the accuracy and completeness of
      > contract's administration?

      Absolutely. Every dollar/euro/whatever coming into or out of the
      system, or changing state in the system, is posted double entry
      style. As for how many of the lines, I would guess it's a small
      percentage like <5. However, critical advances in simplifying the
      system were often preceded by new accounting insights (like
      introducing pass-through accounts). When things go weird there is
      nothing like an absolute complete history of what happened to all the
      money to give you the raw material for good customer service.

      Kent
    • Benjamin Schroeder
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
        On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 07:47 PM, Brian Button wrote:

        > Eclipse is pretty modular, so a new story right now can pretty easily be
        > done with TDD. Its pieces are broken up into plugins, which are
        > logically
        > separate units of functionality. As it stands now, each of these
        > plugins has
        > hundreds of unit tests, and they've even built a way to run eclipse
        > inside
        > eclipse so that you can run unit tests on plugins you are building. And
        > the
        > developers of the refactoring plugin (org.eclipse.jdt.ui.refactoring
        > IIRC)
        > are quite proud of the fact that they are practicing TDD as they add new
        > refactorings.
        >
        > If anyone is interested, I'm building a plugin right now, and I'd be
        > happy
        > to share some of what I've learned about developing plugins using TDD in
        > eclipse. All I want/need now is a pair...

        Brian,

        I'd be interested to know more about your experiences. Sorry for taking
        so long to reply to this post -- I was out over the weekend.

        Thanks,
        Ben Schroeder
        schroeder@...