Re: [XP] RUP as an opportunity - Was Moving Towards Confusion

  • Jim Standley
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 1, 2002
      Yes, I've known production systems with no source control! We had a
      mainframe data access method years ago that was patched by different people
      for different feature requests and bug fixes over the years and everybody
      just kept their favorite version of the code in private storage. (The
      company has an excellent source control system for mainframe code, but this
      group didn't usually do coding, so they never got hooked up to it.) We
      finally just unplugged the darned thing and forced all the client programs
      that were using it to change to conventional methods.

      I've used PVCS on several projects. We use it mostly to prevent collisions,
      using check-out to ensure that only one person could modify a file at a
      time. (This is contrary to a lot of more modern thinking.) We almost never
      used it to go back to prior versions - locking alone plus server backups
      would have done the job for us. I liked the command line interface best,
      and built some management tools to browse the check-in comments integrated
      with a source code browser for PowerBuilder.

      BTW: We find we can corrupt almost any PVCS file beyond hope of recovery by
      terminating a PUT in progress. Ouch!

      I also use the ZIP file technique on my own. I have REXX routines that put
      the date in the filename and plain batch routines that keep the most recent
      "n" zips.
    • Robert Watkins
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 4, 2002
        On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 01:34, Booch, Grady wrote:
        > [egb> ] The RUP's best practices regarding configuration management are
        > codified in a thing we called UCM (unified configuration management) and are
        > described in Brian White's book, found on Amazon at
        > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201604787/qid=1022859184/sr=2-2/ref=
        > sr_2_2/103-1882647-3967065

        White's book is excellent on general principles, and very good (though
        somewhat dated now) on ClearCase. The first half is fairly agnostic as
        to the technology (though ClearCase is used for the examples), and would
        apply to any SSC-derived configuration management system (which is
        pretty much all of them).

        I got my copy free with my ClearCase admin certification training, but I
        wouldn't recommended that as the way to get the book. :)

        Robert.

        --
        "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
        Robert Watkins email: robertdw@...