Re: [XP] Re: Honest inquiry

  • Dan Palanza
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
      Kent Beck wrote:

      >www.lifeware.ch is the largest TDD system I've been involved in--250K
      >lines of Smalltalk and about the same of tests, 5-10 people for four
      >years. There are 4000 tests at all scales that run in 20 minutes. It
      >is a generic life insurance contract management system specialized
      >and in production for a dozen clients. The code is strongly
      >modularized (not that we can't do better).

      Hi Kent, I'm interested in contract management, on a small scale, and so
      I'm curious about applications done on a large scale: how much of this 250K
      lines of code is involved with double entry bookkeeping? For example, in
      your own experience with contract management, is double entry bookkeeping
      ever used as a resource to control the accuracy and completeness of a
      contract's administration?

      Dan

    • kentlbeck
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Dan Palanza <dan@c...> wrote:
        > Hi Kent, I'm interested in contract management, on a small scale,
        and so
        > I'm curious about applications done on a large scale: how much of
        this 250K
        > lines of code is involved with double entry bookkeeping? For
        example, in
        > your own experience with contract management, is double entry
        bookkeeping
        > ever used as a resource to control the accuracy and completeness of
        > contract's administration?

        Absolutely. Every dollar/euro/whatever coming into or out of the
        system, or changing state in the system, is posted double entry
        style. As for how many of the lines, I would guess it's a small
        percentage like <5. However, critical advances in simplifying the
        system were often preceded by new accounting insights (like
        introducing pass-through accounts). When things go weird there is
        nothing like an absolute complete history of what happened to all the
        money to give you the raw material for good customer service.

        Kent
      • Benjamin Schroeder
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2002
          On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 07:47 PM, Brian Button wrote:

          > Eclipse is pretty modular, so a new story right now can pretty easily be
          > done with TDD. Its pieces are broken up into plugins, which are
          > logically
          > separate units of functionality. As it stands now, each of these
          > plugins has
          > hundreds of unit tests, and they've even built a way to run eclipse
          > inside
          > eclipse so that you can run unit tests on plugins you are building. And
          > the
          > developers of the refactoring plugin (org.eclipse.jdt.ui.refactoring
          > IIRC)
          > are quite proud of the fact that they are practicing TDD as they add new
          > refactorings.
          >
          > If anyone is interested, I'm building a plugin right now, and I'd be
          > happy
          > to share some of what I've learned about developing plugins using TDD in
          > eclipse. All I want/need now is a pair...

          Brian,

          I'd be interested to know more about your experiences. Sorry for taking
          so long to reply to this post -- I was out over the weekend.

          Thanks,
          Ben Schroeder
          schroeder@...