Re: Source Code Control

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      > From: manaster@...
      >Subject: Re: Source Code Control
      >
      >Bill asks:
      >>Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
      >
      >It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
      >not-quite-current version of WinCVS.

      Yikes! Command line, my friend; command line!

      >Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
      >binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways.

      cvs add -kb binaryFile.gif

      > You
      >don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
      >let you check in without "resolving" the conflict.

      Don't include any $variables$ in your source. Everyone should use the
      same code formatting. Everyone should either use all spaces or all
      tabs, but not a mix. (They should all do that, anyway.)

      >The conflict marks that it
      >inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
      >must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.

      Hm. That's VB's fault, sorry. With jEdit and the code formatter, I get
      parsing errors before I even try to compile if any Java source has an
      unresolved conflict. I like it.

      >That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

      Sounds like the combo of VB and CVS is the problem, and not necessarily
      either one on its own.

      >I'm not agin SCC in principle, but the practice as I have seen it
      >leaves so much to be desired that I'm comfortable with this
      >particular form of madness.

      If you're working on Windows, you could try CSRCS at
      http://www.componentsoftware.com It's great for one-person use; I've
      never used it in a networked environment, though. Integrated into
      Windows Explorer. Neat.

      J. B. Rainsberger,
      President, Diaspar Software Services
      Let's write software that people understand.
      http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
      telephone: +1 416 791-8603
    • Bill de hÓra

        Upgrade to 1.3.

        > Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that
        > they're binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does
        > anyways.

        You can add files as either binary or text. As you say, RTFM,
        actually go one better and read Karl Fogel's CVS book. It's
        available online (minus the open source philosophy).

        > You
        > don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and
        > won't let you check in without "resolving" the conflict.

        CVS is being your friend, you /really/ don't want to check in if
        you have conflicts; fix the problem locally. If you haven't made
        local changes, I suspect that's a tab/spaces thing or eol guffness
        between linux and windows or you simply don't have the most recent
        revision from the repository. Try doing an right click update on
        the file, that usually fixes things.

        >It gives messages
        > in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but
        > not for me (and yes, I have RTFM).

        Ignore the colors, they're a distraction. The uppercase letter at
        the beginning of each line are what matters, a CVS reference like
        Fogel's will explain what they mean. Alternatively, badger whoever
        admins the repository for a tutorial, failing that find the nearest
        UNIX or Open Source gearhead, they usually know their way around
        CVS.

        > You refresh the display to see if
        > anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit
        > your changes it says that there are conflicts.

        F5 refresh is local. Before you try to commit you should query
        update (F4) to see if you're in sync with the repository; /always/
        update before committing.

        > The conflict marks that it
        > inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
        > must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad
        > instead. That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

        I can't say anything about what or why VB won't display your files
        as plaintext, but notepad will. I guess that's a VB editor feature;
        perhaps there's some way to tell it to stfu.

        Bill de hÓra