Re: [XP] RUP as an opportunity - Computer books and reading

  • jeffgrigg63132
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- Edmund Schweppe <schweppe@i...> wrote:
      > Take a peek sometime at http://www.construx.com/ladder/pyramid.htm
      > "Professional Software Engineering Pyramid" page from Steve
      > McConnell's [...]
      > According to those numbers, less than three percent of the
      > software developers in the USA have ever actually *read* books
      > like _The Mythical Man Month_. Three-quarters don't even read
      > one book a year.

      Some years ago I concluded that this dearth of reading by my "peers"
      was because *I* bought all the books. Yes I did! Bwahahahahaha!!!
      (evil laugh) I've got *bookshelves* full of them; and I've read
      pretty much all of them. They're *my* books, and you can't have
      them!!! ;->
    • Robert Watkins
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 4, 2002
        On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 01:34, Booch, Grady wrote:
        > [egb> ] The RUP's best practices regarding configuration management are
        > codified in a thing we called UCM (unified configuration management) and are
        > described in Brian White's book, found on Amazon at
        > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201604787/qid=1022859184/sr=2-2/ref=
        > sr_2_2/103-1882647-3967065

        White's book is excellent on general principles, and very good (though
        somewhat dated now) on ClearCase. The first half is fairly agnostic as
        to the technology (though ClearCase is used for the examples), and would
        apply to any SSC-derived configuration management system (which is
        pretty much all of them).

        I got my copy free with my ClearCase admin certification training, but I
        wouldn't recommended that as the way to get the book. :)

        Robert.

        --
        "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
        Robert Watkins email: robertdw@...