Re: [XP] Re: Source Code Control

  • Paul Michali
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2002
      manaster@... wrote:

      > Bill asks:
      > >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
      >
      > It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
      > not-quite-current version of WinCVS.

      Hmm. I only toyed with VB for a very short time, but I do recall
      some odd things (we used ClearCase). It was something like having
      to check out the project file (I think), just to be able to work
      with the project and I vaguely recall something about VB modifying
      files all the time, such that they all had to be checked in, even
      when making a minor change. Maybe someone with more experience with
      VB can give you more accurate info...

      > Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
      > binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways. You
      > don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
      > let you check in without "resolving" the conflict.

      I'm using version 1.3.4.3 Beta 4 of WinCVS. I also have it set not
      to use locking. I unchecked the box 'Checkout read-only' under the
      general tab, before checking out the whole tree. Then, after making
      changes, I just do a "commit" to refresh the VC. I find this is an
      easy way to work.

      > It gives messages
      > in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but not
      > for me (and yes, I have RTFM).

      Yes. I have yet to figure out what all the colors are and I can't
      find documentation on it either. Green is good, Orange is status
      messages from server, Black is the CVS commands and status messages.

      I guess that is the price of a "free" tool :^(

      > You refresh the display to see if
      > anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit your
      > changes it says that there are conflicts.

      You may want to try a quick experiment and note the timestamps for
      all your files, run VB, change one little thing, build, and then look
      at the timestamps on the files again to see if anything has changed.
      Let us know what you find...

      > The conflict marks that it
      > inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
      > must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.
      > That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

      I can see your disappointment. It has worked well for me. The only
      problem I had was with some text files and line-termination (I had
      files processed by Ruby on a Unix system. I imported them into CVS
      via WinCVS and it changed the line termination from Unix to DOS. As
      a result, Ruby on Unix had problems processing the files. Anyone
      know how to deal with files when running Ruby from Unix and DOS?)

      Keep plugging away and try some of the advanced editors and IDE
      features for version control. You may find some tools that work
      well with CVS (as I have with Emacs) or another VC tool.

      PCM (Paul Michali) @ HOME

      Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
      Cisco Systems, Inc.
      250 Apollo Drive
      Chelmsford, MA 01824

      Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
      Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
    • Bill de hÓra
      • Paul Michali
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
          Bill de hÓra wrote:

> [...]

          How can I use cygwin to resolve this? I have it installed,
          but haven't used it directly.

          My problem is line termination when running Ruby on text
          files. I discovered this when I put the files under CVS
          control. The files were sitting on a Unix box and, from
          my PC at home, I imported them into CVS using WinCVS.
          CVS changed the line termination to DOS and when I ran
          my Unit tests, they failed. I found that, if I changed
          the text files back to Unix format, it worked fine.

          Apparently, the pattern matches were failing (e.g. I
          had tests like, "if line =~ /^-{48}$/" that failed).

          So does anyone know how I can run Ruby from either
          DOS or Unix and have this work? Is there a way to tell
          CVS to check out the file and modify the line termination
          for the platform or a way to tell Ruby to use different
          line termination for the files it accesses (e.g. run it
          from PC and have it use Unix line termination, when it
          accesses files)?

        • ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2002
            Use a cygwin build of CVS and of Ruby, and use "binary mounts." Under
            these conditions, all the files will use UNIX line termination on
            Windows, and everything will just work transparently. Presumably you
            don't really mean "DOS".

            I think Paul Michali wrote:
            > > > From: Paul Michali [mailto:pcm@...]
            > > >
            > > > Anyone know how to
            > > > deal with files when running Ruby from Unix and DOS?)

            Ernest Friedman-Hill
            Distributed Systems Research Phone: (925) 294-2154
            Sandia National Labs FAX: (925) 294-2234
            Org. 8920, MS 9012 ejfried@...
            PO Box 969 http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
            Livermore, CA 94550
          • Paul Michali
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
              ejfried@... wrote:

              > Use a cygwin build of CVS and of Ruby, and use "binary mounts."

              Do you mean take the source of Ruby and rebuild it under cygwin?
              It looks like cygwin has some form of console and GCC compiler.

              I'm using WinCVS, do I need to try to find its source and rebuild it?

              What do you mean by "binary mounts"?

              > Under
              > these conditions, all the files will use UNIX line termination on
              > Windows, and everything will just work transparently. Presumably you
              > don't really mean "DOS".

              Yes, I mean PC/Windows line terminations (Emacs, just says DOS on the
              status bar, so I blindly typed that in).

              PCM (Paul Michali)

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                  I think Paul Michali wrote:

                  > Do you mean take the source of Ruby and rebuild it under cygwin?
                  > It looks like cygwin has some form of console and GCC compiler.

                  Yes, "./configure; make" works flawlessly.

                  > I'm using WinCVS, do I need to try to find its source and rebuild it?

                  No, there's a version of CVS you can install as a part of cygwin; I
                  meant to simply use that instead of WinCVS. I'm sure there's an option
                  in WinCVS to use UNIX line endings, but if you're working in a mixed
                  UNIX/Win32 environment, it's way easier to use one set of
                  cross-platform tools, and cygwin lets you do that -- i.e., standardize
                  on the UNIX command-line CVS client.

                  > What do you mean by "binary mounts"?

                  When you install cygwin, you have to option of using "text mounts" for
                  your Win32 file systems (which means Cygwin will try to do CRLF <-> CR
                  mapping for you) or "binary mounts" (cygwin will pass files through
                  unchanged.) Using binary mounts leads to fewer suprises, although you
                  could make this work either way.

                  Ernest Friedman-Hill
                  Distributed Systems Research Phone: (925) 294-2154
                  Sandia National Labs FAX: (925) 294-2234
                  Org. 8920, MS 9012 ejfried@...
                  PO Box 969 http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
                  Livermore, CA 94550
                • Edmund Schweppe
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                    Paul Michali wrote:
                    > manaster@... wrote:
                    > > Bill asks:
                    > > >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
                    > >
                    > > It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
                    > > not-quite-current version of WinCVS.
                    >
                    > Hmm. I only toyed with VB for a very short time, but I do recall
                    > some odd things (we used ClearCase). It was something like having
                    > to check out the project file (I think), just to be able to work
                    > with the project

                    In general, that's true. (At least through VB6; I haven't gotten down
                    and dirty with VB.NET yet, but I know it's radically different under the
                    covers.)

                    > and I vaguely recall something about VB modifying
                    > files all the time, such that they all had to be checked in, even
                    > when making a minor change.

                    I don't recall this being a problem with VB6. The old SDI format had the
                    irritating side effect of changing the form's default window coordinates
                    any time you moved the form editor window around, but VB6's default is
                    to use an MDI format (selectable on VB6's Tools|Options dialog, Advanced
                    tab) that doesn't have that issue.

                    There's also the chance that you were having issues with changing GUIDs
                    for custom ActiveX components. If you don't set the project's Version
                    Compatibility to Binary, VB will change the GUIDs of your objects every
                    time they get built on a different machine (even if the actual interface
                    signatures haven't changed), forcing changes to any project referencing
                    the object.

                    --
                    Edmund Schweppe -- mailto:schweppe@...
                    those of any past, present or future employer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                      manaster@... wrote:
                      > Bill asks:
                      > >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
                      > It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
                      > not-quite-current version of WinCVS.
                      >
                      > Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
                      > binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways. You
                      > don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
                      > let you check in without "resolving" the conflict. It gives messages
                      > in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but not
                      > for me (and yes, I have RTFM). You refresh the display to see if
                      > anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit your
                      > changes it says that there are conflicts. The conflict marks that it
                      > inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
                      > must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.
                      > That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

                      I've never tried using WinCVS, so I can't speak to that part of the
                      issue, but I'd guess that many of those problems revolve around
                      end-of-line issues (especially if the CVS repository lives on a Unix
                      box). I have used both PVCS and VSS with VB without any major hassles;
                      in fact, the VSS plugin for VB6 works pretty much like a charm. In
                      particular, I've gotten strongly into the habit of using VSS's visual
                      diff feature to verify that the changes I made were in fact only the
                      ones I thought I'd made.

                      So I'm guessing that your SCC problems are generally those of
                      mis-matched tools, rather than a philosophical issue. And I will confess
                      that I don't always use source-code-control on tiny little one-off
                      projects myself...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                        > > My problem is line termination when running Ruby on text
                        > > files. I discovered this when I put the files under CVS
                        > > control. The files were sitting on a Unix box and, from my PC
                        > > at home, I imported them into CVS using WinCVS. CVS changed
                        > > the line termination to DOS and when I ran my Unit tests,
                        > > they failed. I found that, if I changed the text files back
                        > > to Unix format, it worked fine.
                        >
                        > Ah. There's a checkbox on admin/preferences/globals at the bottom
                        > in WinCVS, which will check out per UNIX eol. I don't think there's
                        > a direct option with CVS command line.

                        Cool! Thanks. I didn't see that when I was doing a checkout. It is
                        on the 4th tab (Globals). I'll give it a try.

                        PCM (Paul Michali)

                        Internet Systems Business Unit (ISBU)
                        Cisco Systems, Inc.
                        250 Apollo Drive
                        Chelmsford, MA 01824

                        Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 75817 (978) 497-5817 [direct]
                        Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm @ epage.cisco.com [email page]
                      • Bill de hÓra
                        • Peter Hansen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 3, 2002
                            Edmund Schweppe wrote:

                            > I've never tried using WinCVS, so I can't speak to that part of the
                            > issue, but I'd guess that many of those problems revolve around
                            > end-of-line issues (especially if the CVS repository lives on a Unix
                            > box).

                            I'm pretty sure that CVS repositories are identical regardless
                            of which machine they're on. We successfully moved the raw
                            repository (,v) files directly from a Windows machine where
                            we started to a Linux machine and there have been no related
                            issues.

                            (In fact, our only issue with CVS has been checking out shell
                            scripts on Windows and copying directly to Linux machines. The
                            CRLF at the end of the hash-bang line causes a little trouble...)

                            -Peter