Re: Source Code Control

  • manaster@pobox.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      Bill asks:
      >Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?

      It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
      not-quite-current version of WinCVS.

      Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
      binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways. You
      don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
      let you check in without "resolving" the conflict. It gives messages
      in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but not
      for me (and yes, I have RTFM). You refresh the display to see if
      anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit your
      changes it says that there are conflicts. The conflict marks that it
      inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
      must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.
      That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

      >I guess that your issues seem to be with CVS (and at work
      >Windows/WinCVS more than CVS) rather than SCC and I doubt VSS would
      >simplify your life in that regard. The main other people seem to
      >use is Clearcase, which I don’t know anything about.
      >
      >Forgoing SCC is madness I say, madness...

      I'm not agin SCC in principle, but the practice as I have seen it
      leaves so much to be desired that I'm comfortable with this
      particular form of madness.

      Cheers,
      --Carl
      --
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        > From: manaster@...
        >Subject: Re: Source Code Control
        >
        >Bill asks:
        >>Can you say more about your setup and what you mean by weird?
        >
        >It's VB6 running on Windows NT something-or-other, with a
        >not-quite-current version of WinCVS.

        Yikes! Command line, my friend; command line!

        >Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that they're
        >binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does anyways.

        cvs add -kb binaryFile.gif

        > You
        >don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and won't
        >let you check in without "resolving" the conflict.

        Don't include any $variables$ in your source. Everyone should use the
        same code formatting. Everyone should either use all spaces or all
        tabs, but not a mix. (They should all do that, anyway.)

        >The conflict marks that it
        >inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
        >must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad instead.

        Hm. That's VB's fault, sorry. With jEdit and the code formatter, I get
        parsing errors before I even try to compile if any Java source has an
        unresolved conflict. I like it.

        >That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

        Sounds like the combo of VB and CVS is the problem, and not necessarily
        either one on its own.

        >I'm not agin SCC in principle, but the practice as I have seen it
        >leaves so much to be desired that I'm comfortable with this
        >particular form of madness.

        If you're working on Windows, you could try CSRCS at
        http://www.componentsoftware.com It's great for one-person use; I've
        never used it in a networked environment, though. Integrated into
        Windows Explorer. Neat.

        J. B. Rainsberger,
        President, Diaspar Software Services
        Let's write software that people understand.
        http://www.diasparsoftware.com/
        telephone: +1 416 791-8603
      • Bill de hÓra

          Upgrade to 1.3.

          > Weird? You add files to a repository, and it complains that
          > they're binary, not text, so it won't add them, but it does
          > anyways.

          You can add files as either binary or text. As you say, RTFM,
          actually go one better and read Karl Fogel's CVS book. It's
          available online (minus the open source philosophy).

          > You
          > don't change anything, yet it finds a heap of differences and
          > won't let you check in without "resolving" the conflict.

          CVS is being your friend, you /really/ don't want to check in if
          you have conflicts; fix the problem locally. If you haven't made
          local changes, I suspect that's a tab/spaces thing or eol guffness
          between linux and windows or you simply don't have the most recent
          revision from the repository. Try doing an right click update on
          the file, that usually fixes things.

          >It gives messages
          > in a variety of colors, which evidently have some meaning, but
          > not for me (and yes, I have RTFM).

          Ignore the colors, they're a distraction. The uppercase letter at
          the beginning of each line are what matters, a CVS reference like
          Fogel's will explain what they mean. Alternatively, badger whoever
          admins the repository for a tutorial, failing that find the nearest
          UNIX or Open Source gearhead, they usually know their way around
          CVS.

          > You refresh the display to see if
          > anything's new, it says nothing is, then when you try to commit
          > your changes it says that there are conflicts.

          F5 refresh is local. Before you try to commit you should query
          update (F4) to see if you're in sync with the repository; /always/
          update before committing.

          > The conflict marks that it
          > inserts into the files prevent VB from loading the files, so they
          > must be edited in some advanced text processor like Notepad
          > instead. That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

          I can't say anything about what or why VB won't display your files
          as plaintext, but notepad will. I guess that's a VB editor feature;
          perhaps there's some way to tell it to stfu.

          Bill de hÓra